• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Get InDesign Bullets & Character Styles to Display Through XML

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created some text on an InDesign document which I want to display as a list using XML.

for example:

This is my list of items to display

• Part 1
      • Part 2
      • Part 3
      • Part 4

I have the text listed using bullets through a style I've created myself.

I tagged the text & mapped it to the new character style & then exported it to XML.

It creates all the text for me but won't display it as a list.

I'm pretty good with InDesign but only just started to learn XML & find it so confusing.

Also on standard paragraphs of text which I've typed in, I've applied my new character & paragraph styles, tagged the text & exported to XML, but again the styles aren't coming through.

Please can somebody advise if this is a setting in InDesign that I need to change, or is it something else?

Thanks

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from Comments forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The linked ZIP contains an ID CS6 file and an XML file. Take a look at what I did. If/when you have questions, just feel free to reply to this thread. I come around a couple times a day--usually.

Mike

Dropbox - forumPost.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, (with InDesign CC) I opened your InDesign document with the styles, imported the XML and dragged from the InDesign XML structure onto the page. Looks good to me (see screenshot)Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-29 um 14.18.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, your problem may be located in the import options. If you chose to get rid of empty spaces, then the carriage returns might be removed where you need it. Then you get this :

Capture d’écran 2017-05-31 à 10.18.20.png

But if you uncheck that option, you will get the result Stefan Rakete​ just showed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I should have included a screen shot of my import options...thanks, Loic.

I do all XML work in an XML editor prior to import, so I never use that option (I leave it unchecked).

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines