• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Crashing all the time

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, hopefully someone can help. I have a really bad issue in InDesign on the Mac. When i first open the app with no files open, simply by trying to make my workspace bigger on the screen, InDesign crashes immediately. I have:

• Trashed my preferences
  • Deleted my Workspaces
  • Uninstalled/Reinstalled
  • Deleted any related InDesign folder in the Cache etc.
  • Removed any fonts that might be causing issues.

I really dont know what else to do to solve this issue.

Can anyone help???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS do you have (Version)?

What InDesign version do you use?

Are they compatible to each other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you also tell us if the OS you are on is 10.12.4?

Also, what Gpu do you have in your Mac?

If the gpu is Intel and your OS is 10.12.4 can you upgrade to OS 10.12.5?

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys, i am on OS 10.12.5 and Indesign 2017.1 (Build 12.1.0.56)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you try deleting your cache and preferences as suggested by Wilhelm.

You can see how to delete these from Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

If still Indesign crashes try running the cleaner tool and then reinstalling  Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Please let us know if finally you are able to run InDesign

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KHarris,

Please try this

InDesign CC crashes during launch

Check in safe mode and root account as well.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all, so i have trashed the prefs and restarted etc.

I ran the cleaner tool, it seemed to delete all my apps, so i reinstalled InDesign, but now i just open InDesign and touch the interface with my mouse and it crashes instantly.

It seemed to coincide with the update of OS 10.12.5, my colleague running the same software but running OS10.12.4 doesn't seem to have this issue.

I also ran in safe mode then back to normal mode to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which GPU does your Mac have?

Did you try installing CC 2015?

I know this is a bit time consuming and hampers your productivity but if the above methods still do not work can you try rolling back to a previous OS version? (but carefully)

Or better still, can you try making a separate partition on your MAC with OS 10.12.4 and then running InDesign CC 2017.1 on it?

Please do read sufficient instructions for creating and restoring OS to a new partition so that you do not corrupt your memory or loose any data. Be careful with the process.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks for your continued support. I'm pretty clueless on how to roll back to 10.12.4, is it doable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KHarris,

Here are the steps to roll back to previous version( Please backup your data on external drive before rolling back to previous version )

macOS Sierra: Revert to a previous macOS version

However , also check the performance on root account as well

Steps to enable and login Root account:

How to enable the root user on your Mac - Apple Support

If it works fine on root account, issue could be related to permissions or user account.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Srishti, its actually a networked Mac so all files are stored on a network drive, therefore we don't have a time machine backup to roll back to a previous version. I assume it cannot be done without Time Machine.

I am back in the office tomorrow so will try the root user method to see if that works.

Update:

My colleague has now had the same issue. Apparently IT has helped by enabling the Root, logging into it, and running InDesign. This seems to have fixed the issue for now. I will know more when i try it on my Mac when i get into the office tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All, so thanks to the guys who recommended to enable root user as this seems to have fixed the issue. I then disabled the root user and it is still not crashing. I shall monitor throughout the day but hopefully this is fixed now.

Thanks for all your help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi KHarris,

Thank you for letting us know. Problem was with permission on Adobe folders which got solved by root account.

If you want you may monitor the performance and let us know if you have any further issues.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines