Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove white background when printing

May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an OKI printer with white toner. When I create a file with transparent background with no background on the image itself and try to print it, it prints with a white background. I learned how to remove that by making a path with Photoshop, but can't figure out how to do it with Elements Editor edition. If there's no way with Elements Editor, is there a way with any other Elements edition? Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Your detailed description and the link to YouTube show that your printer driver works very differently from conventional inkjet printers. It automatically fills the background (matte???) with white, so that the only suggested process is to include a 'clipping path' in your image.

Since Elements does not have the full 'path' panel, you need an additional script to restore that functionality. My suggestion is to download the very affordable Elements+.

About Elements+

Look at the 'paths' section.

Ther

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eghoon  wrote

I have an OKI printer with white toner. When I create a file with transparent background with no background on the image itself and try to print it, it prints with a white background. I learned how to remove that by making a path with Photoshop, but can't figure out how to do it with Elements Editor edition. If there's no way with Elements Editor, is there a way with any other Elements edition? Thank you in advance.

If you save the file as JPEG, you will have a white background, since JPEG file format  does not support transparency. Save it as PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion. However, I'm trying to print directly from Elements without saving as jpeg or png. With that said, I have tried printing from png format with the same white background result, even though I created the file with a transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eghoon  wrote

Thank you for your suggestion. However, I'm trying to print directly from Elements without saving as jpeg or png. With that said, I have tried printing from png format with the same white background result, even though I created the file with a transparent background.

Let's go over your work-flow. How are you going about isolating the object, i.e. how are you eliminating the original background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to print a text created from Elements. I start with a new file with a transparent background. I'll create a text and print with "White On" (need to print white text on transparent paper). As you can see from the print page, there's a white background where it should be transparent. I found there's a workaround with Photoshop where you have to make a work path first in order to remove the white background from here... Printing with no white background in Photoshop with the OKI pro920WT & C711WT - YouTube . However, I only have Elements 13 on my mac and don't want to purchase Photoshop if I don't have to.

I'm not able to locate a work path tool on Elements, other than the custom text path tool to accomplish this. I hope there's a way to remove the printed white background on Elements. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 10.34.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-26 at 10.35.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-26 at 10.35.59 AM.pngIMG_6093.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed information.

File>new>blank file with transparent background. ok.

Activate type tool and type text. ok

File>Print. In the dialog that comes up, #2 Printer settings, click on change settings, then click on advanced settings, and under paper type, I do not have the option to select transparent paper. I use an Epson printer.

Perhaps your equipment provides this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my printer settings offer transparent paper setting, but that doesn't remove the white background when printing. Does anybody else have any experience with white toner printers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eghoon,

Can we try the following steps?

- Please click "Save As" (After you create a graphic with transparent background)

- Give it a name & save it in a location.

- When you save it , make sure you select "Interlaced" in png option.

Transparent png.PNG

- Click "Ok"

- Print the saved .png file

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Regards

Dhananjay'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a clipping path like in Photoshop. This is possible with the Elements+ affordable add-on. I'll come back tomorrow when I am on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your detailed description and the link to YouTube show that your printer driver works very differently from conventional inkjet printers. It automatically fills the background (matte???) with white, so that the only suggested process is to include a 'clipping path' in your image.

Since Elements does not have the full 'path' panel, you need an additional script to restore that functionality. My suggestion is to download the very affordable Elements+.

About Elements+

Look at the 'paths' section.

There is a script to create a path from a selection you have made in Elements (same selection  way as in Photoshop):

Creating Path from Selection

Once you have created this 'clipping path', you are in the same situation as in Photoshop. You should be able to print directly from Elements or from a saved copy in psd, tiff... or even jpg format.

Yes, the jpeg format can't store layers, but it can store a clipping path.

I am not sure you can retrieve it from the forum, here is the DropBox link:

Dropbox - ClippingPath.jpg

ClippingPath.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you sooooooo much. That is exactly what I needed and it was able to remove the white background. Thank you to everybody else for your help. I love this community!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eghoon,

Thanks for posting in Adobe forums.

I understand you are looking for creating transparent image in Adobe Elements.

Please check this article for reference.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Regards

Dhananjay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines