• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing 4K video with a RAID0?

Engaged ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a Mac, I'm thinking of setting up a RAID0 enclosure to edit 4K video.

1. Will two drives configured for RAID0 make any difference in speed when editing 4K? If so, where/what types of things will the improvement be noticable?

2. Can two SSD drives be used in a RAID0 configuration? Will this result in improved performance when editing 4K Vs. two hard drives in RAID0?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

southwestform  wrote

1. Is there a performance reason for putting the project files on a separate drive from the media?

I doubt it, especially with our XAVC-S media, I have not found any advantage in separating the two since I started using SATA III SSD's, in the old days on hard disk drives that was a different story but since we have gone from 10's of milliseconds to SSD's microseconds on the latency it really does not seem to be necessary.  If you do put them in another place it just is then an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved this to the Hardware Forum where the hardware experts hang out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raid-0 will mostly increase max transfer rates. if you are working with very high bitrate media, or multiple layers or multi-cam, the extra speed could help keep playback smoother vs a slow disk. ssd's can be used in raid, and would offer even higher transfer speeds. ssd's can also help some with seeking/scrubbing as they have lower latency than spinning disk drives. the cpu does most of the work for premiere, so the disk drives just need to be fast enough not to be a bottleneck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What might be considered "very high bitrate" media?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's do it the other way, what 4K media are you planning on using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XAVC S from various cameras, FDR-AX100, A7SII, RX100IV, and possibly the new A9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing XAVC-S from my FDR-AX100 very easily and smoothly in CC and even in my CS6 on this very laptop.  I do have two SATA III SSD's in this 3-year old system.  Also I can put the project files on my Samsung T3 portable USB 3 SSD and it works well.

EDIT

In other words there is no need to risk loosing data because RAID 0 if you loose one of the two devices you loose all your data.  just get a decent SATA III SSD and you will have all the speed you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Is there a performance reason for putting the project fils on a separate drive from the media?

2. I was unaware that RAID0 means that if you loose one of the two drives you lose all the data on both. Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

southwestform  wrote

1. Is there a performance reason for putting the project files on a separate drive from the media?

I doubt it, especially with our XAVC-S media, I have not found any advantage in separating the two since I started using SATA III SSD's, in the old days on hard disk drives that was a different story but since we have gone from 10's of milliseconds to SSD's microseconds on the latency it really does not seem to be necessary.  If you do put them in another place it just is then another bookkeeping item to save everything together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prores and similar codecs at high quality settings, red with low compression, uncompressed avi, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines