• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Countdown After Effects CC 2017

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried a lot of methods for creating a countdown in AE CC 17. None of them work. I can't ever seem to get the the Numbers effect to count down as I need, and a text layer Track Matte-ing onto a shape layer is somehow hiding the entire count.

All of the documentation and videos I've found are for an earlier version of AE (CS6 and CC 14 mainly), so I'm wondering if it is a version thing.

I could also understand if it is a computer problem. I have often had a lot of problems with my iMac and the Adobe suite. In case you're wondering it is a late 2009 27" iMac with 16GB DDR3 RAM. But I mean it works .

I could use quick and concise replies...

Thanksabunch,

AH

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

A much more versatile option is to use Dan Elbert's Universal Counter or Universal Timer. These are expressions that you add to the Source Text property. I highly recommend that you take a look at them. Don't be scared. Use them with a mono spaced font and you can count up or down in time, dollars, or anything else you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt very much if that effect has been updated in the last decade, it's an oldie.  They are on to bigger and better things.

That also means you won't find anything new on tutorials, me thinks.  Lynda.com has a tutorial older than your computer(and Jesus, Mary and Joseph that's old, I think the Smithsonian is looking for one)  where Chad Perkins walks through all of the effects, to my mind it's a pretty simple effect, at least going up, which is the only way I've used it.  I'm sure it is covered in that series, and he is a hoot to watch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As in the Smithsonian is looking for my computer? I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to get some good money for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi A Hauser,

Did you end up solving this issue? How did you do it? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up using Rick's answer.

However, it took me a long time to find out where to put the code. I later found this after 15 minutes in Google as Command+Shift+=

Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting us know A Hauser!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you have a problem with?  Is it that you don't know how to use the numbers effect, or that you don't know how to apply the track matte?   You have to tell what you're trying to do and how you're trying to do it.   When you say it won't work the "way you need it to", we are supposed to know what you "need"?

In the basic use of the effect:

Apply the numbers effect to a solid.

Choose font and style, etc.  (you can change this after the fact by clicking options in the effect panel)

Set the number of decimal places you want

Set the size/position/color etc.

Set the value to where you want the count down to start.  KEY IT

Move the cti forward in time to where you want the countdown to end.

Set the value to the what you want it to end at (you should now have two keyframes)

It's not really a complicated effect.

If it's the track matte you can't figure out that's an entirely differnet issue and you're going

to have to provide details about your project, layers. etc

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A much more versatile option is to use Dan Elbert's Universal Counter or Universal Timer. These are expressions that you add to the Source Text property. I highly recommend that you take a look at them. Don't be scared. Use them with a mono spaced font and you can count up or down in time, dollars, or anything else you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines