• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 file disappears, and photoshop can't save it again as it stays stuck in 0% or 81%.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title pretty much says it all. I've already had 2 whole files that took me hours to make simply disappear because of the stupidity of the program. I really, REALLY enjoy using photoshop, but it's WAY too unstable. Seriously. It's really hard to work on a file if not saving it may risk losing it because of the program crashing, and saving it may risk losing it because photoshop may just bug out and decide to make it disappear like a magic trick.

Both of the files had about a 350 MB or so size, and their resolution was along the lines of 1000x2000. There's no indication of when this happens, it just shows on the top left, right besides the name, that it's stuck in 81%. Stopping the save, and then starting it again only makes it get stuck in 0%. Duplicating the file doesn't work, and exporting all the layers doesn't work. Saving to web also doesn't work.

While trying to export all the layers to hopefully manage to get something back, photoshop literally constantly crashed my windows explorer. Countless times. I couldn't re-open photoshop either, so I literally had to just wait. about 30 minutes in, with absolutely nothing happening, I had to close the photoshop proccess, since it was slowing the computer to a crawl and not resulting in absolutely anything.

While the saving is stuck, I can still fully work on the file, create new layers, etc. etc. However, the file simply isn't where it was before, and trying to find it results in absolutely no indications of where it could be whatsoever. I tried searching for hidden files, too, and nothing was there either. The file had about 60 layers, and I've already worked with files with up to 250 layers and not have this problem happen to me.

My OS is Windows 10 Pro, my RAM size is 8GB and photoshop can use up to 4130 MB of that. CPU is a octo-core AMD cpu.

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a mounted drive?

The 81% stall is atypical of this. Adobe's official position is to not save to mounted/networked drives. Save local then transfer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what a mounted drive is, but if it's any helps I'm saving it directly to my computer on my C: HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also are you just using Save over the top? Always a risk. Use Save As to a new name then you always have the old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now I know that. I'm likely still going to save over most of the time, but once I hit a big change I'm gonna save it as another file. Make a folder for all the files, and delete older files once I'm sure the newer ones are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving over the top of a file is a risk only if you crash or interrupt the save process (as you are experiencing). Normally that is an acceptable practice.

Are you certain the files were only 350 MB? that seems slightly light considering the number of layers and pixel dimensions. You could be running into a delay with the autorecovery system running in the background as well.

It is odd that when you crash, it does not open with a recovered file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the files were about 350 MB, and they had about 50-60 layers each. When it gets stuck at 81%, the file literally disappears. It can't be found anywhere on the computer. Any things like shortcuts or opening via the "Open recent..." tab simply displays an error message saying the file is not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you attempted to reset or reinstall Photoshop on your machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this was happening to me as well, I couldn't figure out how to fix it but in my case found a work around, hope it helps you too.

When you save the file and it hangs at 0% just wait a few seconds (or the usual time that it would take to save on your computer), after that force shut PS and go to where the file you were working on is, on my computer it would create weird looking files such as "bd350.TMP" every time it would freeze, I went ahead and renamed that file's extension from ".tmp" to ".psd", opened that renamed file on PS and voila! the saved file that "failed to save" opened and also allowed me to save it after that. Best wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a seriously risky "workaround" that is dependent on the last time your auto-backup ran. You can change the timing in your preferences. That tmp file is the backup file created every 10 minutes not what you were saving at that exact point in time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I turned background saving "off" therefore also turning off the every-10-minute autosave feature you speak of, and the .TMP it is still being created every time I save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines