• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video formats very mixed

Explorer ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've inherited a partly edited documentary to finish and I'm a bit confused. The raw sources are NTSC assorted MOV, MTS, MP4 & (unwrapped) MXF files. All are 1920 x 1080 and frame rate 23.976. The sequence settings are 1920 x 1080 and frame rate 30 fps. I don't want to compromise quality and wonder if I should change any settings or just continue as is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinated to know why someone with all 23.976 media chose to make a 30fps f-r sequence. I don't suppose it's actually 29.97 instead of 30fps?

If things are looking ok I'd probably leave it as-is. Others around here with more of a b-cast background may have better advice.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any benefit if I create a new sequence based on the raw footage (23.976 1920x1080) and then copy the contents of the original sequence into the new sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIght be. Try it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. I wish more people would chime in and offer some guidance here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some questions get a lot of experienced help ... some not so much. Many of the ones not getting much response I don't quite understand the lack of response. Some ... yea, "that" question is either so poorly worded or something just odd, I can understand no response. Or the fifth question on exactly the same topic in the last ten hours. Um ... it's being covered in another THREE threads, dude! (sigh)

Your question though ... dunno. It's a common situation to get into. As it's a longer form documentary, typically many of the heavy pros around here chime in. It's real work, not some high-schooler wanting us to hold his hand on making his first music video. (Which we typically do help, kindly and thoroughly.)

After I posted my response I realized that for a b-cast project, often there are specified frame-rates. And it has been common to edit in the frame-rate of the delivery for a lot of b-cast only editors. So, I assume you need a 30fps delivery? If you don't, I think re-frame-rating the sequence will work ok.

Many of the editors here now suggest editing in a 'standard' frame-rate, as it's not uncommon to get mixed f-r media in a project. And then deliver to the specified f-r. Though it can take some testing & practice to know which options ... say Frame blending or Optical Flow ... and what not ... that work the best for X type f-r projects with P, Q, and Z media in them.

A couple of the b-cast editors I've had the pleasure of talking with have told me that for many of their major projects, that are going to take a week or more of work, with very specific needs for delivery, they'll grab some similar media to what the project will have and spend a day or two testing the heck out of some short sequences with perhaps a ton of effects thrown on them to various delivery options. That way, when starting the real project, they avoid maybe two-thirds of the potential pitfalls.

The other third ... you'll find on doing the project anyway.

I found that oddly cheering ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hoping to get some input on this. I've attached two images. One shows media info of the 4 file types. The other shows the existing sequence settings. Apparently this sequence was originally created using an exported Mp4 preview! Anyway I've taken over the project which is about 80% edited. Once completed it will be pitched to festivals and PBS. Before going any further, I want to copy everything over to a new sequence with a frame rate matching the footage. I just don't know about the other settings. So based on the mixed sources, what would be optimal new sequence settings?

Thanks.

TLC-SourceFiles.jpg

TLC-Sequence.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, this isn't mixed ... mixed is 1280x720i mts 30fps 2-mono audio; 4k/p 25fps ProRes 5.1; 1920x1080 23.976 CinemaDNG 2- stereo channels (4 audio total) ... and some 1920x1080 and 4k mov 60fps from some drone. That's mixed.

Everything you're showing is 1920x1080p 23.976fps with two audio channels at 48khz.

Set your sequence settings to that.

And then for delivery, adapt the export settings for what is required.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil. As one who can still recall shooting film and editing on a flatbed Steenbeck, I sometimes get a bit befuddled by the numerous digital options and settings.

Cheers,

Howard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The options these days ... have options ... which have options ... which ... (sigh).

It was so much simpler to run a big color print processor, all we had to do was run the control strips & process them through the hand-operated densitometer & plot the graphs to track the chemistry. Was HUGE improvement when the densitometer could hold the data for a plot & send it to the printer!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines