• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Practically Everything in right panel acting erratically.

New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many things going wrong on the right panel it is difficult to describe. I can click on the adjustment brush and click it a second time and the cursor locks to the zoom symbol. Then if I click on the Zoom Area Selection tool it will track, but when I attempt to select an area the work area zooms instead. I will not zoom to an area for sharpening. I need to reboot to get things working again. If I choose to select a zoom area, the cursor shows a "+" and will lock the zoom, but then the cursor changes to a Hue Adjustment symbol. Each time Lightroom "flakes out" I have to restart Lightroom. I can't get any work done.

This makes two really bad updates in a row. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom, but is has not helped. The quality control I've seen in the last two release is extremely disappointing.

Just for reference, I am running this on MacOS.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Rikk Flohr (An Adobe Employee) is aware of these problems in the thread I referenced above and has documented a bug report.  I notified him directly in the other thread to add this related issue.  From my tests it seems like the issue with the Detail panel zoom tool consistently creates the problem in the HSL and Tone Curve as shown in the other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences: Resetting Preferences in Lightroom CC/6

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not reset the preferences.

What is your exact version of LR and version of MacOS?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have MacOS 10.12.5 and Lightroom 2015.10.1 with Camera Raw 9.10.1

I tried resetting my preferences. It didn't fix the problem. It appears the program gets stuck in some state and the only way I can get it to work again is the reboot the program. Here is an example of what I'm seeing.

1. Start Lightroom, select a photo, go to Development
  2. Perform global adjustments
  3. Slide down to Detail Panel
  4. Click the Adjust Zoom Area button at the top left corner of the Zoom Area in the Detail panel
  5. The mouse pointer turns from a magnifying glass to a standard cross-hair [looks like a plus sign]
  6. Move the cursor around and whatever the pointer is over is displayed in the Zoom Area of the Detail panel.
  7. Click someplace in the photo, the position is locked in the Zoom Area but the mouse pointer does NOT return to the magnifying glass symbol as expected. It changes to the Hue symbol [small target with arrows on top and bottom] and a small cross-hair in the top left corner. At this point Lightroom's Detail panel becomes unpredictable. It appears to be stuck in a state that we can only knock loose by rebooting the program.
  8. Click the Zoom Area Adjustment button again and nothing happens. Click on other functions and they work more as predicted, but the Detail area is hung up and you can no longer adjust the area. You can't even drag in the little zoom window to move your area of focus.

This is a very frustrating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can click on the adjustment brush and click it a second time and the cursor locks to the zoom symbol.

This is normal. When you click the brush icon a second time it exits the brush, and the cursor goes back to the 'Magnify' icon.

The keyboard also toggles the Brush on/off.

The 'Magnify' icon is the default icon that appears in the Develop module and changes to a "Hand" icon when you magnify.

if I click on the Zoom Area Selection tool it will track, but when I attempt to select an area the work area zooms instead.

What is meant by the "Zoom Area Selection tool".?  When you click the mouse when the 'Magnify' cursor is active, the image toggles in size (zooms) between two magnifications- usually "fit the window" and a previously used zoom ratio. eg. 1:1  (Spacebar also does this)

To re-position the magnified image, with the Brush remaining active, you need to drag the crop frame on the Navigator panel.

It will not zoom to an area for sharpening

So you must 'magnify' the screen first, then click on the Brush icon and adjust the "Sharpening" slider and apply the Brush to the area you want to sharpen. (Press to show the overlay mask that defines the area brushed)

the cursor shows a "+"

Do you mean the Brush icon-  Two concentric circles with a + in the centre?

What is a "Hue Adjustment Symbol"?

So either I am very confused, or your understanding of how the Brush works is not accurate. Keep the discussion going to get the answers you need.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal, Nothing Wrong, As it should be and always has been.

Click Adjustment brush = On

Click it again = Off

Cursor is Magnify, Click Image and Zoom center of Cursor at the ratio you have selected in the top left hand panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

Cursor is Magnify, Click Image and Zoom center of Cursor at the ratio you have selected in the top left hand panel.

I THINK the OP is talking about the Selection Tool in the Detail panel and it DOES NOT work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cycles4Fun  wrote

Then if I click on the Zoom Area Selection tool it will track, but when I attempt to select an area the work area zooms instead. I will not zoom to an area for sharpening. I need to reboot to get things working again. If I choose to select a zoom area, the cursor shows a "+" and will lock the zoom, but then the cursor changes to a Hue Adjustment symbol. Each time Lightroom "flakes out" I have to restart Lightroom. I can't get any work done.

Thanks,

I can replicate this behavior in the Detail panel with the "Area Selection"  tool or what ever it is called (the little square in the upper left hand corner)  It randomly changes from its normal behavior to a zoom tool to the oddest behavior, the TAT tool from the Tone Curve and HSL panels.  I don't have to restart Lr to get things working again if I randomly select other tool and hit ESC a few times.  See this thread Serious bug with the new release [HSL Saturation sliders not working] for a related issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call. I tried the Hue adjustment button and it doesn't work either. It appears that there is a state issue with all the buttons in the top left corners of the panels. I believe this qualifies as a serious bug. Is there any way to let Adobe know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk Flohr (An Adobe Employee) is aware of these problems in the thread I referenced above and has documented a bug report.  I notified him directly in the other thread to add this related issue.  From my tests it seems like the issue with the Detail panel zoom tool consistently creates the problem in the HSL and Tone Curve as shown in the other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 Lightroom for Mac

Cannot lock the zoom window in the Detail panel to sharpen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem which started with LR CC version 5.10.1 (Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5). Have to quit and relaunch Lightroom to return to normal. This behavior does NOT happen after the first use of the dropper or aspect tool or angle tool (etc), but after 2-5 uses. Once it starts it remains stuck on the zoom tool until LR is relaunched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned before ... Adobe is aware of this and is working on a fix.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on F. McLion's response, add your me-too vote and details about your issue to the bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom CC 2015.10.1: Develop module: Target Adjustment Tools not working | Photoshop Family Custo... . That will ensure you're notified when the status of the bug changes. 

The only known workaround is to revert back to CC 2015.10 / 6.10: Lightroom roll back to prior update version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct Answer8. Re: Practically Everything in right panel acting erratically.

Bob SomrakLevel 6

I PERSONALLY DONT HAVE TIME FOR ADOBE TO SORT THIS RUBBISH OUT........I HAVE WORK TO DO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TELL RIKK FLOHR TO TELL HIS BUDDIES AT ADOBE TO SORT IT OUT NOW........IM LOSING MONEY BECAUSE OF THIS.......THE ANSWER IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yelling here won't do you a lick of good. None. Although Adobe hosts this forum, anybody who has any say in what gets fixed doesn't come here. Try their bug-and-suggestions site:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me this issue is fixed in the latest versions of Lightroom.  Besides that, ranting will get you NO help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version and it's NOT fixed....if you don't believe me come sit here at my mac and tell it stop it's nonsense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Prove you have the "latest" version: post your System Info (from the LR Help menu).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you have got over 2500 images to process for a large corporate and all of a sudden lightroom disintegrates into a million little pieces, you spend 3 hours trying to find a solution as to why your flippen cursor and space bar keep zooming in and out and there is none....nothing....zip solution....and the only "correct" answer is "sorry adobe screwed up you will have to wait till they fix it" is not the answer....this bug should be fixed immediately! Not when someone at adobe decides that they should "maybe" look at the situation.....then maybe tell me not to shout or yell! when you are paying the amount you do for these programmes and such a big "bug" happens upon us...it should be looked at immediately....

Do you honestly think that a large corporate gives a damn about lightroom or any processing problems??? Nope they just move on to another photographer....so this now isn't just the money you pay for these programmes but also the amount of money you lose by losing a customer....

it it is not acceptable and I understand your opinion of yelling but quite frankly think of what I am losing due to this "bug" if you were in the same position you would be yelling too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines