• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using thisComp.layer

Explorer ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am fairly new to After Effects (Using CS6), and using a template I purchased to learn more, and also to try and customise to what I would like it to do.

One item that I have discoveed is the ability to take text from another layer, using (as an example) thisComp.layer("INFO TEXT").text.sourceText, which allows me to enter a name once, and have it used in multiple other compositions. in this case, a football team name gets used in many other places.

owever, to take it further, and want to take different lines fro a list. to bring this to life -

I get a football team in an excel form, and can copy into the same line of text, just multiple lines. But what I would like to do is then take line 1 into different lines (so line 1 is goalkeepr going into 1 'lione' then next defender onto another line etc .

Is this possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Yes, it's possible, but this goes way beyond simplistic linking of layer properties. You have to do actual string processing in the expression. Depending on how much info you have, you wouldn't even use a text layer to begin with and just paste the information directly into the expression.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's possible, but this goes way beyond simplistic linking of layer properties. You have to do actual string processing in the expression. Depending on how much info you have, you wouldn't even use a text layer to begin with and just paste the information directly into the expression.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines