• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to change the default location for project files?

New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The automatic location for projects to be stored in is my "Documents" folder. However, I edit quite frequently so this gets really messy. Is there a way to change it so all future project files can go into a single folder instead, rather than all of them going into the documents folder individually?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

I never, EVER use a default location.  Not ever. 

That's because there are far more files associated with a given project than just an AE project file.  It's best to organize your work by project... which means a default location is senseless.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never, EVER use a default location.  Not ever. 

That's because there are far more files associated with a given project than just an AE project file.  It's best to organize your work by project... which means a default location is senseless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do...do you not have designated folders in your documents for each project you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Dave and probably any other person on the planet for that matter.

It doesn't matter how small the project for me, it's gets its own location.  Period.

You would lose things left and right if you did not.  So, to your question, you don't really want to change the default location.  You simply want to always organize every project in its own folder.

Now - for organization, perhaps on the drive where you keep this, maybe you have something like a folder that says 2017 Projects, 2018, etc and within those, have separate folders.  Or maybe you want folders with Movies, Commercials, Weddings, etc....and then folders within by project.  Whatever works for ya but by all means, advice point number 1 is always have them in their own project.

Just another point, not to ramble but I do things for a particular brand quite a bit and since I do, I have a folder I call "Reusable Assets" because I know exactly where to find them throughout my separate projects.  It would be comparable to having a sound effects folder that you draw from, etc.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No matter what field or discipline of computer graphics this is CG:101

Before you do anything else you create a project directory & subdirectories.

Some programs (like Maya) help to automate the process by providing an interface

that lets you create & name your main directory & all your subfolders.

I wrote a simple .bat file to do it for me in windows. I go through this process before I even open AE.

"MD" is the windows system command for "make directory"

I typed the following four lines into Notepad & then saved it a .bat file.

Now I just double click like any executable file and it automatically creates a project directory tree.

//

MD "H:\projectsAfterEffects\Work\new-project"

MD "H:\projectsAfterEffects\Work\new-project\graphics"

MD "H:\projectsAfterEffects\Work\new-project\audio"

MD "H:\projectsAfterEffects\Work\new-project\for upload"

//

It creates the main directory (new project) on my H:\ drive in my "work" folder which is in my "AE Projects" folder.  It then creates 3 subfolders: Graphics, Audio and For Delivery.   After I run that /bat file  I give the main directory a project specific name .

Finally I open after effects, create a new project (using my work template which also is set up with multiple organizational folders in the project panel to keep all my assets neatly organized) & then immediately save it in the project directory I just created.

Now I can begin to work.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines