How is this "3D" effect achieved?

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there

New to Forum

Thank you for having me

How is this effect achieved - my presumption is that it takes work on set to make this effect possible in post - but how? Can it be done in AE. Just to be clear I am not talking about the her differing reflection in the mirror, I'm talking about the "transition" from back to side to front of 'Pink'

Starts - 0:51 - 0:52 secs.

Any replies much appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Well, I see what you are saying.  It's as she looks in mirror but those quick moves right?

I'm sure they had some highly technical slides of some sort that they used and doubtful they went that fast, probably sped it up, which you can do.  So, picture on a lower scale, you have a slider, perhaps a quarter circle type rig.  You'd place the camera on there and literally slide one way and then back, and then zoom, etc  Then animate the speed to get that effect.  But you have to keep in mind, they co

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, you need to have a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never noticed how bad the comping was on this, you can see where her elbow gets cut off...

What Kirkeric said, I'd say they just keyframed the speed, or else shot it on greenscreen and then froze certain poses and moved a 3D camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's also a good thought but I think there is more rotation/more change in angle than you could get in that manner but still a good observation and certainly another way to cheat the shot.

If you avoid too much change in perspective, that's also a good way to get the shot.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies!  Xx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I see what you are saying.  It's as she looks in mirror but those quick moves right?

I'm sure they had some highly technical slides of some sort that they used and doubtful they went that fast, probably sped it up, which you can do.  So, picture on a lower scale, you have a slider, perhaps a quarter circle type rig.  You'd place the camera on there and literally slide one way and then back, and then zoom, etc  Then animate the speed to get that effect.  But you have to keep in mind, they could have had something so high tech, that they programmed the movement.

If I were doing this, I'd probably slide it at normal speed and then back, maybe even go as far as to have the actor even adjust their speed where she's throwing her arms around.  This is going to have to be a cheat for a low budget film maker.

Reminds me a bit of the other cheat where the cameras slide around the person and they look frozen but you cheat and literally have them freeze in place and work the camera.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems, having watched the behind the scenes and analysed frame by frame there was a blue screen mirror and a few different transitions (mainly blurring of somekind) as well as camera movements (like a zoom done in post, possibly movements where the actor held a position and camera was moved) and also almost cuts from one shot to the other done so quickly and with a blur or, I can't remember the name of the zoom, that without carefully playing back the footage you would never notice. There is probably also a little animation of a still in some of the shots...a combination of everything really - at least in this amateurs opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines