• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set English UK as default language

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open Indesign and create a text box, it always defaults to USA, I change it to UK which is fine, But when I close Indesign and restart it then the character dictionary defaults to USA again.

I have changed to UK in the preferences but whenever I shut down and restart it reverts back to USA. Very frustrating.

(in short I would like that everytime I open indesign with a new document it would automatically let me start typing UK english without having to touch any settings)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Thanks for the tips everybody. I uninstalled then reinstalled the program. Although there was no option for a setup language when installing I set the dictionary to UK in the preference and character dictionary and this time it remembers when I restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to change your preference ​with no documents open ​to change the default for new documents you create.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already tried this, but it still defaults back to USA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, it sounds like it's a characteristic of your installation language. Uninstall InDesign and install using English (UK) as your language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds as though the default paragraph or character style is set to UK English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already tried this, but it still defaults back to USA.

InDesign lets you set different languages within one document. So, as Bob suggests, with all of your documents close change the language setting in the Character or Control panel, and then change it in any default Paragraph and Character styles you have setup starting with the [Basic Paragraph] style.

For existing docs it can be tricky to purge all instances of another language. If you are using OSX the Applescript will set all text and styles to English UK.

-----------------------------

set lang to "English: UK"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2017"

repeat with x in all paragraph styles of active document

try

set applied language of x to lang

end try

end repeat

repeat with x in all character styles of active document

try

set applied language of x to lang

end try

end repeat

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every story of active document to lang

end try

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every cell of every table of every story of active document to lang

end try

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips everybody. I uninstalled then reinstalled the program. Although there was no option for a setup language when installing I set the dictionary to UK in the preference and character dictionary and this time it remembers when I restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just need to configure the language of the dictionary with no open document on the preference, that way it will be the default for new document, the old one's will have the document default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right i was loking for the same question and google got me here. I found a new way for existing documents. just hit cmd/ctrl A then chose Type Tool (T). On the top you will see a language (English UK in my case) dropdown. Change that to whatever you want and the whole page will change into that language. Do this for every page and your done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You would still have to watchout for text in tables and anchored text frames.

And if you don't fix the paragraph and character styles, the problem would likely reoccur with future edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines