Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old school portrait ilustration

New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How can i get this effect on portrait pictures?

like this one:

Georges_Gilles_de_la_Tourette.png

Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Much of what I would consider principal linework should be done or amended manually but some of the cross-hatching can be simulated with Hard Mix linke-pattern layers over a photographic image.

And these line-pattern layers could additionally be bent/distorted with Displace, Liquify, Puppet Warp, …

The hair in particular may need a lot of additional attention.

gravureLinesBlendModeHardMixScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an effect, this is some aretist in those days having spent his time to meticulously modulate brightness with dot sizes, spacing and line angles. This has almost nothing to do with Photoshop. It requires a understanding of traditional painting techniques based on which of course you could then use all sorts of brushes, stroked vector paths, pattern fills and so on to re-create the look. It's just not going to be a question of "Which filter must I use?". Such a thing doesn't exist.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for what Mylenium advised.

Here's the best I could come up with using the cross-hatching filter in PS. Only a distant relation of the Victorian etched illustration -

crosshatchingjpeg.jpg

Good luck

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem...

http://niemieckidopracy.pl/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Mylenium's useful reply you can get a similar (but a pale imitation) using this Photoshop plug-in:

Cutline Photoshop Plug-in - Andromeda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Much of what I would consider principal linework should be done or amended manually but some of the cross-hatching can be simulated with Hard Mix linke-pattern layers over a photographic image.

And these line-pattern layers could additionally be bent/distorted with Displace, Liquify, Puppet Warp, …

The hair in particular may need a lot of additional attention.

gravureLinesBlendModeHardMixScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines