• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Collections & Folders Stopped Working After V6.10.1 Update

Explorer ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Smart Collections and Publish Services Smart Folders extensively but since installing the V6.10.1 update a couple of days ago the 'Smart' features no longer work correctly. I am finding that any 'Smart' definitions that include Keywords or Titles in the criteria result in a collection having no content even though many images meet the criteria. Smart collections that previously held images and have not been changed now also hold no content where they previously did.

Is this a bug in V6.10.1 (or an earlier version as I have not updated for a while), or has something else happened coincident with my update?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

I'm pleased to report the issue seems to be fixed.

I performed an 'Optimize Catalog' which failed and reported a corrupt catalog. This forced a catalog repair and restart of LR, which was successful and resulted in the previously reported problems apparently all cured.

Many thanks for your assistance 'Just Shoot Me'

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem here. Smart collections created before the update still holds all images. New Smart collections created work as expected also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are opening, using, the catalog that has all your smart collections included?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely opening the right catalog, I only have one.

Looks like the update was not the problem if you're finding no problems so I wonder what I need to do next?

Thanks for the reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you show us a screen shot of the complete LR window having the Collections section open and the All Photographs entry selected in the Catalog section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to make a new Smart Collection? Can you show a screen shot of the Smart Collection panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can supply screenshots if needed, but while investigating further I have noticed a bit more about the problem which I will detail first to see if you have the same issue. The error lies in the exclusion of keywords on a Smart Collection. e.g with the following criteria.

Keywords - Contains - XXXXXX     Correct subset of my images exists in collection

Keywords - Contains - !XXXXXX    Collection is empty even though my catalog has hundreds of images without XXXXXX

Keywords - Doesn't Contain - XXXXXX   as above, Collection is empty

Keywords - Doesn't Contain - !XXXXXX  double negative, collection contains images as per first example.

Also found that the Adobe standard supplied Smart Collection titled 'Without Keywords' is empty, I have many images without keywords.

Do you see these issues?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the first two scenarios  and the  Adobe "Without Keywords" and they work as expected.  Even though these work for me I have found the Smart Collection filtering in Lightroom to be flakey, especially in any filter dealing with date/time.  They don't always live update until I restart Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks Bob, so it still looks like my Lightroom is broken rather than a general 'bug'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have a filter set. You aren't showing the the Film Strip which includes a Filter: section. You might have it set to something that is stopping images from showing.

Filter Off.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set it to Filters Off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filter are off, see screen shot, top right. The non-display of All Photographs in grid view is also a 'new' feature I had not noticed. Grid view works OK in sub-folders

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 different settings. See my screen shot for the Filters: in the black bar at the top of the Film Strip section.

Filters Film Strip.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filters also off on filmstrip bar

ss3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

When was the last time you restarted your computer?

Also try deleting the LR Preferences file if a restart doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have restarted the computer a couple of times today before posting on the forum.

Have just deleted 'Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs' & 'Lightroom 6 Startup Preferences.agprefs' from AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences and restarted LR.

Problem still exists

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your screen shot your drive (:I) in the Folders section shows it is a 2.7 TB drive with .2 TBs used. Please expand that to see if there is any question marks next to the folders you store you images in.

Since there are no images showing in either the main Grid/loupe area or in the Film Strip section I suspect LR has lost track of your images. Do you store your images on an external drive? In File Explorer see if you have a Drive I ( i ) and if your images are actually in that drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I: is an internal drive and there are no ? next to my folders.

Explorer shows I: usage as 226 GB free and 2.72 TB size, is the 0.2 TB used or remaining in LR?

As an experiment, I exported a single image as a catalog and opened that catalog. LR then seems to operate as it should, both by showing 'All Photographs' in grid view, and the original issue with negated keywords in Smart collections. It seems my issue is therefore catalog related rather than the LR program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm pleased to report the issue seems to be fixed.

I performed an 'Optimize Catalog' which failed and reported a corrupt catalog. This forced a catalog repair and restart of LR, which was successful and resulted in the previously reported problems apparently all cured.

Many thanks for your assistance 'Just Shoot Me'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of your images have either a ? mark or ! mark next to them?

Screen shot with All Photographs selected and the Grid view showing, Full LR window also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, all images are present and correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

No, all images are present and correct

Is there some reason you are not posting a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No reason for not posting screen shot, just thought extra info may have been more useful. Here is screen shot & thanks for your continued interest

.ss1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines