• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow computer after LR6 upgrade to .10

New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, after installing LR 6.10 I started getting low memory warnings and "turn off Lightroom". A few tests later I determined that Lightroom is the cause of all my troubles.

Even with LR minimised the "C" drive was still running at 100% and memory usage was around 85%.

LR was locking up 3.3GB of memory. I have 8GB ram and this has never caused a problem.

Switching LR off reduced disk usage to 4% and memory to 35%. Switching LR back on caused 100% disk and higher memory usage.

I repeated this sequence a number of times with the same result each time.

A second reboot after the upgrade saw the memory usage drop but the HDD usage stayed at 100%.

1) Why is this happening?

2) Can I migrate Lightroom to a different hard drive on my computer?

3) How can I reduce the resources that LR seems to require even when not in use?

I am running the latest upgrade of Windows 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Sometimes, Lightroom is generating previews, which could cause the symptoms you describe, and once the previews are generated, the symptoms should go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, check if it helps to deactivate the GPU acceleration: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Second, try if it helps to reset the preferences: Resetting Preferences in Lightroom CC/6

If is stays unchanged, remove and reinstall Lightroom: Download Photoshop Lightroom

Don't forget to reboot your PC between every step.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response but none of these has helped the situation. I have even replaced the video card with a later version to no avail. I have removed and reinstalled LR then upgraded again, no effect. The moment I select LR the disk usage goes to 100% and stays there until just after I close it. Minimising LR to the task bar has absolutely no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please state what actions in Lightroom cause this high disk usage and high memory usage? Please be very specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply starting Lightroom causes the disc usage to go to 100% and the memory usage to go high. Minimising it to the task bar maintains the high levels. The only way to reduce these levels is to exit Lightroom completely. I cannot be certain but it does seem as if this behaviour started with the upgrade to 6.10.1. For some unknown reason, the fault seems to have cleared itself, for the moment. I will repost if it comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, Lightroom is generating previews, which could cause the symptoms you describe, and once the previews are generated, the symptoms should go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is possibly the cause. After some, unknown, period every thing seems to return to normal, but would this happen each time I start Lightroom. I'll leave it at that for now. Thank you for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines