• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ATTENTION ADOBE PHOTOSHOP TEAM! YOUR COMPETITION IS CATCHING UP!

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why Affinity Photo is BETTER than Photoshop! - YouTube

He makes some good points... Maybe make some improvements?

[Moderator moved from the non-product support Lounge to Photoshop General Discussion​.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EclipseDesigns  wrote

He makes some good points... Maybe make some improvements?

what he makes is a commercial to sell his products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not wrong, but then again his commercial could be helpful in making some improvements to photoshop. Istead of ignoring his statements as marketing tactics, use his criticism of photoshop constructively and improve the software. That's all I'm saying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the first point seems just risible … colourful Tool icons are supposed to be an advantage instead of an unnecessary distraction?

And a more busy program icon is supposed to be better, too?

As for the 50 year cost-comparison (50,–$ vs. 6000,–$) I am curious how well Affinity Photo will be updated over the next 50 years.

Naturally there is no guarantee Photoshop will be around that long, either, but choosing »50 years« as the basis of the cost evaluation seems less than compelling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used both products, and Photoshop is still better in my opinion, especially when considered in conjunction with the entire adobe suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm still on cs6, and likely to be for the foreseeable future. adobe lost me with their subscription based model. i make a living using ps as part of my workflow, and still think it's a great program, BUT, i played with affinity and could see the potential if i had to find another program. i did try using gimp for a while, but i'm much more comfortable and adept with ps.

from the outside i can't see anything major that i'm missing in cc for MY purposes, other than the various problems that seem to crop up with each new update as testified to in this forum, and elsewhere.

as for the ad, well it's an ad after all 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that if you are going to compare with and criticise Photoshop, you should at least have half a clue about what you are talking about.  c.p. has mentioned the toolbars and logos...  Seriously?

Then we have the layer modes preview which he claims is better with Affinity because the preview works while hovering over the drop down list.  He apparently doesn't know that double clicking the layer blend mode in Photoshop lets you preview by scrolling through them with the mouse wheel — without having to move the mouse!

Brush preview before committing which apparently saves him a ton of painting and undoing.   Here's a clue for him...  learn the product so you know what is going to happen when you use the brush.  The last time I got a nasty surprise when using the brush tool in Photoshop was.....    Give me a moment guys, I'm having to think about this...  OK, I've got it....never!  How about showing us the brush preset panel.  What control does Affinity give you over the brush?

Better gradients?  OK I saw a preview of a tonal range gradient, but is he not aware of the Camera RAW filter that allows us to have a fully editable gradient with full preview and an ever so slightly greater range of parameters:

Frequency Separation?  Try moving the Clarity slider to the left in the Camera RAW filter, and hasn't he heard of Actions and Plug-ins?

A one off $50 with lifetime updates does sound interesting, but is Affinity a photo editor, or can I use it for illustration with a massive range of tools and features that allow me to easily reproduce almost anything from scratch?  In fact is Affinity an alternative to Photoshop, or more accurately Photoshop Elements?  I think it is probably the latter, except I suspect Elements is still more powerful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched that video

The bit about it being better because the logo is better actually made me laugh out loud

Coloured toolbar - no thank you I want my interface a nice mid grey with no distractions.

No mention of comparison to 3D - timeline animation .....????

I do like the scopes though, similar to Lumetri in Premiere

I think you are right Trevor - A comparison to Photoshop Elements would be more appropriate.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok yeah I don't agree with the logo part that was pretty stupid, he was obviously desperate for things to compare. Thank you Trevor for that comprehensive list of solutions, that's actually really helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Then we have the layer modes preview which he claims is better with Affinity because the preview works while hovering over the drop down list.  He apparently doesn't know that double clicking the layer blend mode in Photoshop lets you preview by scrolling through them with the mouse wheel — without having to move the mouse!

If you happen to only have a trackpad, select the Move tool, hold down the Shift key and use + or - to cycle through the blend modes.

The point  being Photoshop gives you more than one way to do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think Adobe Photoshop needs to be worried about this product as its not so easy to replace Photoshop so soon! And again Photoshop is making updated on a regular basis so they are still doing good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not heard of any animation/vfx company using this so it is not competition for adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this sort of feedback is immensely constructive.    I almost shared the same link myself with you.

Make no mistake:  I'm a "Photoshop guy" big time.   But the Affinity folks are really catching up to you in a few places.

Please take this thread seriously over there!

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We're User to user forum support. If you have an issue with the way Photoshop is developed, this is the wrong place. Just like you we are not privy to, or have say in what the programming team decides on, no matter what Affinity or any competitor does.

If you have an problem using Photoshop, open a topic with all the pertinent information that will help get you to an answer.

As you are posting an opinion in a thread that ended a year ago, I'm locking this because who you or others think is catching up isn't relevant here and needs to stop.

Photoshop Family Customer Community would likely get you the ear of the product managers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines