• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing onto coloured card

New Here ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound like a silly question. I have been asked to design some wedding invites for a friend. I have finished the design and exported the pdf with crop and bleed. The invites will be printed on coloured card. How do I ensure the printer knows not to print the white background from the pdf? So it should only be the black text from the pdf on the coloured card.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

I'm assuming that you made the pdf from an InDesign document which you had created. If you have not put any kind of fill in the background then there is nothing for the printer to print from. You'll also notice that InDesign actually does not have White in the swatch panel—it is called "Paper" because it is only used to "stand in" for the color of the stock on which it is to be printed. So even if you had used it you would not have been indicating "white".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that you made the pdf from an InDesign document which you had created. If you have not put any kind of fill in the background then there is nothing for the printer to print from. You'll also notice that InDesign actually does not have White in the swatch panel—it is called "Paper" because it is only used to "stand in" for the color of the stock on which it is to be printed. So even if you had used it you would not have been indicating "white".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect, makes complete sense. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They couldn't print the white (easily).

Apart from screen printing and blocking, printing inks are semi-transparent. Ensure your design will be easy to read on the coloured card.

I suggest you discuss these issues with your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines