• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog Woes Lr 6 - Please help!

Explorer ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lr 6, MacOS 10.11.6. I do not store my raw files in the Lr catalogs.

I tried to access some older catalogs that were created with Lr 4 and 5, catalogs that I know I moved the catalog for (but not the images themselves) from my OS drive (needed the space) to  the same remote volume that houses the images. Something I have done with more recent catalogs (Lr 6) without problems.

Well, I tried to access my 2013 catalog (Lr 4) today. I first got the expected message that it was created with an older version and the catalog would have to be updated. I said OK. When that finished I attempted to work on an image from that catalog... Image not found. OK, I clicked the ! symbol in one image and navigated to the actual file and ID'd it with the "find similarly located files" or whatever exactly it says. When I did this all the empty image boxes showing in grid view disappeared and it said 0 images. I tried reimporting the images with and without the allow duplicates, but Lr will not see the images.

The images are infact there, I see them in the Finder and in Bridge, I opened a couple in ACR and exported to Ps, no problems. But Lr insists there is nothing there. I tried finding another folder of images from the same catalog and exactly the same thing happened.

Message was edited by: Mark Muse

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Lr DrivesFolders.jpg  OK, problem solved. I overlooked the fact that new folders were being created in the new location of the catalog. If you look under 2•Images 4TB you will see the updated folders. In the drive location beneath that one you will see the same folders with a ? and a count of 0 images. I have a bit of work to do yet updating all the rest of the folders, but so be it. I need this structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean by "I do not store images IN the LR catalog". LR is a Database program. No images are ever IN LR. They are only referenced, a record made, in the Database file, the catalog file, from where they are stored on your hard drive.

Right the images aren't found because the reference in the catalog file as to where the images are stored is no longer valid. You moved those images to some other drive or deleted them.

Try the Update Folder location system and see if that works for you to find your images.

It is best to have One LR catalog that references all of your images, not multiple catalog. You can then either separate them by actual folder on your hard drive that will be displayed in the Folders section of the Library module or using keywords or collections. You can also use the Filter bar to find images by camera, date taken, lens used and just about any other option  you can think of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, just shoot me now. I never liked nor do I need Lr file management. I have my own system. I use half a dozen or more raw converters.

The raw files have not been moved. The catalog file was moved from my OS drive to the same remote drive as the raw files it is a catalog of. Does your suggestion still apply? It seems to me that the catalog is likely corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't like the Lightroom catalog system then don't use Lightroom because the catalog is the ONLY file that Lightroom opens and is the only file that Lightroom modifies. The catalog is the central file of the Lightroom program. You have to understand and use the catalog or Lightroom is useless. It keeps track of where the images are located. It keeps track of all the adjustments that are made to your images using Lightroom. It keeps track of any collections that you make using Lightroom. If you aren't going to use it and understand it then don't use Lightroom. It sounds as if you prefer working with Camera Raw and Photoshop. If that is the case then that is where you will be much happier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried to access my 2013 catalog (Lr 4) today. I first got the expected message that it was created with an older version and the catalog would have to be updated. I said OK. When that finished I attempted to work on an image from that catalog... Image not found. OK, I clicked the ! symbol in one image and navigated to the actual file and ID'd it with the "find similarly located files" or whatever exactly it says. When I did this all the empty image boxes showing in grid view disappeared and it said 0 images.

The images did not disappear. They are now referenced in Lightroom by the new folder you just told Lightroom to find the photos in. If you go into Lightroom, and navigate to that folder, you will find the photos.

The raw files have not been moved. The catalog file was moved from my OS drive to the same remote drive as the raw files it is a catalog of. Does your suggestion still apply? It seems to me that the catalog is likely corrupt.

This is not corruption of the catalog. If the catalog was corrupt, it would not open. But it does open, and you need to search for the photos inside of Lightroom, as described above, in the folder where you told LR the originals were located.

If you are still having trouble, please show us screen captures of the Lightroom Folder panel and the corresponding part of your file system as seen by your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must not be communicating clearly. I will post some screen captures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr DrivesFolders.jpg  OK, problem solved. I overlooked the fact that new folders were being created in the new location of the catalog. If you look under 2•Images 4TB you will see the updated folders. In the drive location beneath that one you will see the same folders with a ? and a count of 0 images. I have a bit of work to do yet updating all the rest of the folders, but so be it. I need this structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mark+Muse  wrote

OK, problem solved. I overlooked the fact that new folders were being created in the new location of the catalog. If you look under 2•Images 4TB you will see the updated folders. In the drive location beneath that one you will see the same folders with a ? and a count of 0 images. I have a bit of work to do yet updating all the rest of the folders, but so be it. I need this structure.

Three of the top Lightroom forum contributors have provided advice you are choosing to ignore. Lightroom does not have its own "folder structure."

As you import files they will appear in the Library module 'Folders' panel in the same drive and folder structure as shown in Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer. Only those files imported and their containing folders will be visible. LR is not a system file manager like Finder or Explorer. Files that have not yet been imported will not appear inside LR. The LR 'Folders' panel structure is stored in the LR Catalog file. Because of this files and/or folders should not be renamed, moved, or deleted from outside LR using Finder or Explorer.  The LR Catalog file is unaware of these changes causing an ! icon to appear on the image file and a ? icon on the folder in the Folders panel. The one exception is when moving a large number of picture folders to a new drive location: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/move-photos-another-hard-drive-leaving-catalog/

The LR Catalog folder containing the Catalog.lrcat file and Previews.lrdata folders can be moved from outside LR to any locally connected drive location except network volumes. It does not have to be in the same location as the image files. To reopen the moved catalog simply go to File> Open Catalog and select the Catalog.lrcat file at the new folder location.

Having said all of this some users still prefer to use Adobe Bridge and PS/ACR. In fact some simply use Windows File Explorer for organizing and locating images files and long for the good old DOS days! As Mark Twain said, "You pays your money and takes your choice!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines