• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open InDesign file

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 44 page InDesign document I've been working on no longer opens. The first message I receive is "This document contains 12 links to source that are missing. You can find or relink the missing links using the Links panel" then InDesign freezes (the dreaded Mac Beach Ball). This is the only copy of the file I have and my Time Machine stopped working a week ago (OF COURSE)!!! Is there anyway to bypass the links message? I've updated InDesign to the latest version, trashed my Preferences and started up in Safe Mode but still no luck. Can anyone help???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no documents open in InDesign, go to Preferences > File Handling. Uncheck "Check Links Before Opening Document" and "Find Missing Links Before Opening Document". Then try opening the file. If you get is open, save it immediately as an IDML before reopening it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Steve I tried this but it didn't work. I no longer get the missing links message and InDesign still doesn't respond. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that's bad news since you don't have a backup!

There is supposed to be a (NOT FREE) service from Markzware for recovering files:

Markzware DTP File Recovery Service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rostetto

Seems like file is damaged or corrupted.(If the other documents are opening fine)

Would you mind sharing your file? I can try to recover it.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would be great, here is the download link to the file:

http://concreteftp.com/Catalogue_06.indd.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a recent PDF exported from the InDesign file? If so, you could try PDF2ID, which might get you to a workable new file. You could also try creating a new InDesign document and use the place multipage PDF script to place the damaged InDesign file into the new file. You won't get an editable file, but at least you won't need to start from scratch (assuming it works).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines