• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't import pdf's generated by microsoft in indesign anymore

Contributor ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since the last indesign cc update i cannot import any microsoft generated pdf's anymore… it said something of can't crop to frame (translated from dutch, see screenshot). that's pretty annoying…

Any solutions?

Schermafbeelding 2017-05-30 om 10.05.20.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

OK I think I got it...

I could recreate the issue with this process:

I first got a "proper" PDF that allows me to select all the crop zones while selecting "Import option".

Let's import it while selecting "Trim" zone.

Then, notice that the "Word-created" PDF doesn't have all these zone options.

So, we know that if we deselect the "import options", indd will keep the last used cropping option when creating a new frame.

Then we easily understand that if we import the Word PDF without having selected the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this becomes even more bizarre. i can import the same pdf's if i preview 'm first in 'show import options'…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you show options it allows you to choose several of the options in if you want to include the Trim/Crops/Bleed/Artwork etc.

The PDF settings from Word must not be including the Crop information - and when you go to import to Indesign it can't find this info.

However, when you show options, you can select one of the other options - which I presume is happening here.

Check your PDF options from Word - and see if you need to alter anything there.

How are you creating PDFs from Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it comes from a third party, so I don't know. I had the same problem a couple of days ago, but I thought it was a one off. My PDF was generated by printing & saving as a PDF. It wasn't a problem before though…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open the PDF in Acrobat Pro and re-save it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that (i have to convert 'm into CMYK in any case), didn't work. I have to set the tick box of show options, and than it works…

that's a solution, but it's sometimes a bit annoying (I have to import a lot of PDF's).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to save as PDF from Word - there should be no need to Print to PDF.

Save or convert to PDF - Office Support

That being said - there's also no need to convert it to CMYK through acrobat.

If you're placing to InDesign you can convert to CMYK on output

https://indesignsecrets.com/import-rgb-images-indesign-convert-cmyk-export.php

Or alternatively (perhaps more correct) would be to leave it as RGB in InDesign and also when exporting to PDF (no conversion of colour).

Once the printer gets the file they convert it to CMYK  through the RIP.

Effectively what you're doing is taking a RGB file, converting it to a CMYK profile, exporting from InDesign to CMYK (perhaps the same or different CMYK profile) then the printer is converting the file again.

In truth the one time conversion from RGB to CMYK at the printers RIP would yield better colour conversion.

All that being said - if it's colour critical and you need to control the colour in CMYK by altering it - then definitely converting it to CMYK and making colour alterations is prudent.

However, your MS Word to PDF workflow wouldn't suggest this is colour critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I think I got it...

I could recreate the issue with this process:

I first got a "proper" PDF that allows me to select all the crop zones while selecting "Import option".

Let's import it while selecting "Trim" zone.

Then, notice that the "Word-created" PDF doesn't have all these zone options.

So, we know that if we deselect the "import options", indd will keep the last used cropping option when creating a new frame.

Then we easily understand that if we import the Word PDF without having selected the import options, INDD will look for a zone that does NOT exist... and throw the alert.

So the solution is: simply import the word PDF using the import options. Select "Media" or "Bounding Box" or any of the non-greyed options.

Finally, if you create a new frame, and deselect the Import options, INDD will keep this last used option and you should be done...

Illustration (CS6):

crop.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little strange, and could be called an InDesign bug. The rules of PDF are very clear, a page always has five boxes: media, crop, bleed, trim and art. The rules are simple. If crop is missing it is the same as media. If bleed, trim and art are missing they are the same as crop. So there cannot be a file without any one of these. (If media is missing the file is invalid).

Bounding box is different. This is an application concept, not a PDF concept. It is calculated somehow from the contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange it is. Question is why some of those blocks are missing while PDF is generated from MS Word?

Tested both Direct export or virtual PDF printer: same result.

Even stranger: re-saving a proper PDF from Acrobat Pro doesn't recreate the missing zones.

Anyhow, these are technical issues that are way outside my area of knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are usually missing except when made from prepress tools. There is no need and no point in including these boxes if they are all the same as the media box. In fact, including the boxes unnecessarily causes a lot of confusion, typically from users confused that cropping a page "has no effect".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines