• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic Figure Numbering, possible to create a span like "Fig. X - Y"?

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I watched this tutorial and learned that you could create automatic figure numbering.

InDesign tutorial: Automatically updating figure references for books | lynda.com - YouTube

I'm currently writing my thesis and I have chapters where I have lots of images and have chosen

to use spans to free space and avoid the spreads from become messy looking.

I would like to:

1. be able to create a paragraph style that increases the numbering by 1, like "Fig. 1-2"

2. be able to create a paragraph style that increases the numbering by a freely chosen number, like "Fig. 7-10"

is this possible to do in indesign?

Best Regards

- Martin

figur2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you be more specific about the logical of your request?

Do you mean that you'll have sometimes a very logical ordered list like :

…

And that sometimes, you want something like this:

…

Also, can you send a screenshot in Normal mode with all infos ON + threading visible in order to see the structure of your doc (primary frames, threaded frames, unthreaded frames...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. To clarify, I'm writing my master thesis (146 pages) and I estimate that it holds

around 230 photos and 20 tables/graphs. I would say that 100 of the photos, meaning I don't have to list them in my index of figures.

My initial thought was to have the numbering go from "1-250" – However, dividing them into chapters might seem like a user-friendly idea. But right now, I'm most concerned if there is a way to get automatic numbering to work for me at all?

Here are some additional screenshots.

My figure-texts all have separate text boxes. There is no threading (if threading means that the boxes are connected and the text is able to flow between different frames).

The Problem as I see it, is that that I have chosen to create multiple figure-paragraph styles and when you do automatic figure numbering, indesign only allow for one style to being used (please correct me if I'm wrong).

An example of the order I wish to create:

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

Fig. 5-6

Fig. 7-8

Fig. 9-10

Fig. 11

Fig. 12

Fig. 13

Fig. 14-16

Fig. 17-19

Fig. 20-22

Fig. 23

Fig. 24

Fig. 25

This image shows the span of numbers. Including the brand-logos the numbering should go like: "Fig. 1-4", "Fig. 5-8", "Fig. 9-12" etc.

Skärmklipp 2017-05-26 18.52.50.png

I have 8 paragraph styles that's used for the Figure-texts (seen in the bottom right corner of this image)

Skärmklipp 2017-05-30 13.13.32.png

Here is a view where the frames are showing. They are not connected to each other.

Skärmklipp 2017-05-30 13.15.55.png

I also have a few spreads where I wrote several figures after each other, in the same boxes. If numbers could be inserted in the right order and automatically updated - that would be great. But in case this is impossible I guess I have to re-work these spreads and plan the texts differently.

Skärmklipp 2017-05-26 18.52.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for comment! [ Maybe Vinny will wanna play! …  ]

Of course, if not found, I'll give later the way to do it!

Characteristics [anchorings recommended]:

• Total auto-numbering

• One condition

• One regex

… Totally automatic!

Column 1: Auto-numbering, before the regex!

Column 2: Auto-numbering, after the regex!

Column 3: Auto-numbering, after the regex, I've just deleted the first line => the Fig. numbers have been automatically updated!

Capture d’écran 2017-05-30 à 14.26.31.png

MTFBWY!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

It's quite a tricky one so I sure would love to play

However I'm afraid I won't have time for this. So I'll leave it to you... Especially since you seemed to come up with a solution already. I don't have it yet... just a couple of thoughts, like maybe cross-referencing the object using Harbs/Laubender script (Cross Reference an Object?? ) but I didn't dig into it.

Besides, there are other situations (like the "inline" numbering - cf. last screenshot) that will request Force.

I'm sure you'll have fun

Martins: thanks for detailing the situations, it is much more clear now! Grab Obi-wan and squeeze him until you have your solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

End of game, lack of fighters! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the advices, Vinny! I will look into the cross-referencing link you posted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, Obi! (Suitable nick btw )

First: Thank you! for like, Vinny taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it!

Second, I feel i need to clarify a few things.

1. I have studied product design, and not typography or graphic design - so these professional terms are quite difficult for me to understand.
  2. I'm Swedish, so english is my second language. This adds to the difficulties I have with sometimes understanding tutorials/instructions concerning indesign (and the adobe suite in general)
  3. This is the most advanced problem I've ever encounter while working with indesign. I usually work with shorter documents where thoughtful planning and formatting isn't as essential to delivering a good end-result.
  4. I have never worked with scripts before and the software version I use is CS6.
  5. I'm not sure if you, me and vinny are discussing the same thing. To me, it seems like your answers more addresses the aspect of creating the "index of figures" in the back of the report. thought this is the second part of my problem, I'm more interested in having the automatic numbering work throughout all my +140 pages. Since I will submit my report to my supervisor for feedback, I might have to switch order of my spreads, remove images or whatever. If I have to manually write/create my index of figures - that's something I could live with. (I just wanted to clarify where my priorities lies).

And now to addressing your answer, I don't understand much of it to be frank. I therefore chose to create another list.

Characteristics [anchorings recommended]: Is characteristics a type of command? or is it what it's called? and does anchoring mean that the figure-textboxes should be connected to each other?

Regex: I'm not sure what regex means. The Google translate-result didn't make it clearer either. I presume that regex, in this case means "Fig."?

One condition: Condition for what? What does this mean?

Neither does I know/understand what Vinny means with the term "Force", is this a specific type of command?

Sorry for all the questions. If you have the time and possibility to go into detail how you made this work, I would be super grateful - or just direct me to perhaps some youtube tutorials. My lacking knowledge of the english typography terms makes it difficult for me to even know what to search for

Sincerely

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines