Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects only importing half of a large video file

May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have a question about a problem that I've been facing with After Effects CC 2015. I recorded some 1080p, 60 fps gameplay with NVIDIA "Share" and the file (.mp4) is 5.1 GB. Upon importing it, everything appears to be fine but when I drag it to the composition it only has the first 9 minutes of the 15 minute clip. I know it's 15 minutes because I could watch all 15 minutes on VLC. I figured the file might be to big so I compressed it which made it 813 MB. After that I imported it and all 15 minutes were there, but now the video is obviously lower quality which I would like to avoid if possible. Is there any work around or way to make it so I can import the entire, uncompressed file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your footage interpretation. That aside, AE doesn't care about file sizes. If there is an issue it has more to do with the internal structure and possible damage to some streams. A quick transcode in tools like Handbrake can fix these things most of the time without any quality loss.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you suggest I do with my footage interpretation? I'm kinda an AE noob and don't know what to do with it other than set it to the same frame rate as the footage.

Also, even after transcoding in Handbrake I had the exact same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you transcode it to with Handbrake?

How is AE interpreting the file when you import it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When initially importing the footage I get the message: "After effects error: overflow converting ratio denominators.

(17 :: 18)"

Then I chose "Conform to frame rate: 60"

The only options that I saw for transcoding in Handbrake were .mkv and .mp4 so I transcoded it to .mp4 with the h264 codec. I got a file about 1/3rd of the size but with the exact same issues as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't want to transcode to another lossy codec! Also, it's a long GOP codec which is the whole problem in the first place. Try using the Adobe Media Encoder (or Handbrake) to make something like QuickTime with ProRes codec, DNxHD codec, Cineform codec, Photo-JPEG codec, or the PNG codec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ThomasJazz,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines