Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 2016 Application Server service will not start

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey -

I recently upgraded our ColdFusion10 to ColdFusion 2016 Upgrade 3. After the initial upgrade, I opened CF Admin as local host in my browser and completed the migration settings as their instructions stated in the coldfusion-2016-lockdown-guide. After that was complete, I logged in and Server Upgrade stated I needed to upgrade to version 4. Followed the instructions, and rebooted the server to be certain the services would start, but 1 of the three services do not start.

- ColdFusion 2016 Application Server service. The error is below:

I typically have the service running as a service account (which has full permissions to my ColdFusion 2016 server on my E:\) I thought that my be my original issue, but when I switched it back to running as the Local System, it still will not start.

Event Viewer isn't much help stating "The ColdFusion 2016 Application Server service could not be started.  Check the server "cfusion" log files for more information." Not really sure what log files I should be opening, and the ones I'm picking do not seem very helpful.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ISDigINF

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything in your {CF2016 Install Dir}/cfusion/logs/ could potentially point you in the right direction, specifically coldfusion-error.log or coldfusion-out.log

Since you mentioned applying hotfixes, I would also take a look at the hf-updates folder and look at the log files in there to see if there was a problem during hotfix installation.

Pete Freitag

Foundeo Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After more digging, it seems to have to do with a port conflict. During the install, and how I was running ColdFusion 10, it was set up to use port 8500.

I can start the service if the Default Web site is stopped in IIS. If the I can start the site in IIS if the service is stopped. But they can not run at the same time. Last week I set up my development server the same way with no issues.

I am still able to open CF Admin though and log in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To resolve this issue, here are few pointers.

1. Change the internal webserver port.Go to \ColdFusion\cfusion\runtime\conf and open the server.xml in editor and search for "Internal webserver start" and change the port which is mentioned in the below screenshot.

2. After you make this change, restart ColdFusion service.Then you can access CF admin from port which you define there.

Next thing to remember, don't connect the same website with ColdFusion 10 and ColdFusion 2016. You will face the problem with multiple handler entries in IIS and that could lead to either 500 Internal Server error or some other issues.

If you want to test the same application with both CF10 and CF2016, my suggestion is to create two different websites and point to your application and then create an individual connector with CF10 and CF2016.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

So my Default Web Site for CF is set up this way in IIS:

The URL I use to go login to CF is http://localhost:8500/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm

the internal webserver port, in server.xml is listed below:

Is this not how it should be set up?

I'm not using both CF10 and CF2016, I was just upgrading/migrating from CF10 to CF2016.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth,

You have to change the ColdFusion internal port to 8501 with the above steps which I mentioned. ColdFusion 2016 does not create a virtual directory for CFIDE under IIS website. It uses the internal web server to access ColdFusion admin.

Thanks,

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

So if I do that, change the internal port to 8501, what would the URL be to load CF Admin?

This -> http://localhost:8500/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm has been working since the upgrade, so would i continue to use this? or what is it typically?

Elizabeth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this work for Unbuntu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that will work on other Operating systems too. However, it depends what issue you are getting at this time.

Thanks,

Priyank Shrivastava

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation