• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I save an Indesign 2.0 book into a file that will open in a new version of Indesign?

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have (and ONLY have!) InDesign 2.0 from a former life.  So today I subscribed to InDesign 2017 in order to be able to work with the book that I put in Indesign 2.0, and now want to publish, but am having lots of problems with because of all the bugs (or lack thereof) in that old version.

HOWEVER, I CANNOT EXPORT FROM OLD VERSION OR IMPORT FROM NEW VERSION due to all the years of upgrades between versions.

Does anyone know how to help me with this?

The young Adobe expert online said to get on here and ask you guys.  His only advice was to ask you all what kind of file to save the old unpublished book in so that I can import or save in new InDesign version.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who has a brilliant idea for this!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

FWIW, I still have some InDesign 1.0 files around that I have absolutely no problem simply opening in the latest version of InDesign. Just “open” — there is no need to do any import or export operations.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOWEVER, I CANNOT EXPORT FROM OLD VERSION OR IMPORT FROM NEW VERSION due to all the years of upgrades between versions.

You shouldn't be trying to Export or Import anything. Have you tried simply opening the old InDesign document via File>Open?

By Book are you referring to an .indb book file, which is a panel that shows a collection of InDesign documents, or a normal InDesign document, which would have the .indd extension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Rob Day!  You were right!!!  It worked!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I still have some InDesign 1.0 files around that I have absolutely no problem simply opening in the latest version of InDesign. Just “open” — there is no need to do any import or export operations.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am beyond grateful for this answer that worked beautifully!  God bless you--especially in all your InDesign work!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines