• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting topics from Topic list but not from project

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to delete some topics from my topic list but not from my project. I'm not sure how I go about this. Will the links to other topics be severed? I don't want any references to the deleted topics that remain in the project. I couldn't really find anything in the forum discussing this in particular.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008
Try this. Create a conditional build tag called OBSOLETE. Attach it to any topic that you don't want (permanently or at least for now) in your compiled or generated results. Then as you compile or generate the project, make sure to exclude OBSOLETE topics in your build statement.

I also move all my OBSOLETE topics into a folder of the same name in the project. They are still there, can be returned to service if necessary, but they are out of the way.

HTH!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee

Can you expound on what you want to happen? The Topics list is simply a list of topics in your project. You are saying you want the topic(s) not in the list but still in the project. For what purpose?

If we know why, perhaps we might offer a potential solution.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure I want to delete the topics from the project yet. The topics I'm working on at the present time appear to be obsolete. However, they may pop up elsewhere in the application. I don't want to wipe them off the face of the earth until I'm 100% sure I won't need them as a reference or elsewhere in the project. Does that help clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Create a conditional build tag called OBSOLETE. Attach it to any topic that you don't want (permanently or at least for now) in your compiled or generated results. Then as you compile or generate the project, make sure to exclude OBSOLETE topics in your build statement.

I also move all my OBSOLETE topics into a folder of the same name in the project. They are still there, can be returned to service if necessary, but they are out of the way.

HTH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a great plan. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you attach the condition to an entire topic (file)? Is it to select all text in the file (including topic title) and mark it w/ the condition?

I have a similar problem - a Help folder structure was set up in the past (by someone else, long gone), and now the -product- calls a "Welcome" page in the Help folder as its home page. This Welcome page is in the RoboHelp project folder, but I do not want it in the Help project at all. It has links to files in separate folders that RoboHelp won't process correctly. And yes, this was all set up in the past, is in ClearCase this way, product build, etc., so I'd just like to -remove- the Welcome page from my Help project (but not delete it from the disk).

I am using RoboHelp HTML x5.0.2, but I could upgrade to 7 now, if it would solve this problem.

Thanks much for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Gloria

If you right-click the topic and choose Properties (or Topic Properties - depending on where you were when you right-clicked) you should see a dialog with several tabs. Click the Advanced tab. From there, you are able to assign a build tag to the entire topic. No need to select all the text.

I'd be a bit leery about causing a page to effectively disappear if an application is calling it. (you said: ...and now the -product- calls a "Welcome" page in the Help folder as its home page.)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2008 Oct 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks very much for the response, Rick. I'll used the Advanced tab to set the condition for the topic.

You are correct that the page cannot dissappear from the file system. That was my whole problem - in trying to delete a topic from the Help project, RoboHelp said it was going to delete the file from the system. I just want it out of the Help project. (Just to be clear, the application is including with it and calling the individual .htm page as its welcome (it is including and calling "welcome.htm"), not a page within the .chm file.) Thx again. --GMc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp