• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing Files to a Web version of our product

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I generate/publish my project to the location where the Help files, for our web application, are residing, are they updated in the application? Forgive me if the question is ridiculous in its ignorance, I'm terribly new to all of this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008
Hi Renee

Indeed they are! Well, sort of.

Think about how it works. Your application is in one location. Your help is separate and in another. The application simply links to the help. So if you update what is being linked to, the updated stuff is what displays. (I'm assuming WebHelp here) It's just like making a change to a web page. Normally, after you make the change, the next click to display the page presents the new information.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee

Indeed they are! Well, sort of.

Think about how it works. Your application is in one location. Your help is separate and in another. The application simply links to the help. So if you update what is being linked to, the updated stuff is what displays. (I'm assuming WebHelp here) It's just like making a change to a web page. Normally, after you make the change, the next click to display the page presents the new information.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWEET!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still a little confused as to why the netwrok folders do not indicate the recent modification dates. The network folders indicate a modification date of 09/23/2008 @ 05:03 PM. Why, when I generated last night, didn't the modification date for the folders change? If I open the folder some of the items in the folder have the newer date. Am I an ID 10 T or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set the "Republish All" option in the final page of your single source layout wizard, all the project files are copied to the published destination. If this is unselected only files with a newer date than the ones already there are published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I noticed Colum is referring to File date/time stamps and Renee is referring to Folder date/time stamps.

Renee, if you are publishing, as Colum suggests, the File date/time stamps should be updated. But the Folders, I'm rather doubtful about. I may be mistaken here, but I believe that the Folders only reflect the last time a change occurred that modified the Folder name. Perhaps renaming it or whatever.

As long as you are seeing what you expect in the resulting help, I don't think I'd sweat the folder properties.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose that'll work. From what I can tell everything is as it should be so I'll just quit sweating the small stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch Rick. I must have been getting dizzy at all this "We're Doomed", "Oh no we're not", "Oh hang on a minute, yes we are" stuff coming out of the financial markets. I sure wish these guys would make up their minds so ordinary folk like us can decide whether to have an additional beer on a Friday evening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

Warning to all here... This is way off topic.

You are in the UK, no? Is your financial stuff a result of what's happening here in the US?

Wish I were there with you. I'd share that beer with you and Peter and we could all have a good laugh over the hand wringing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the individuals items within the 'WebHelp' folder do have the most recent date updated. I understand why only certain items show a more recent modification date than others. I guess my confusion is a result of the upper level file modification date not changing. It changed on 09/23/2008 when I generated/ published but not on 09/25/2008. I did not check republish all on the 23rd, so why did the upper level file modification date change that day and not last night? I've been making and saving changes as I go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Partly yes Rick although a willingness to offer people lots of money but not have any actual money to lend is also an issue. What a great business model that is! One bank nationalised, several taken over, others in trouble. It's lots of fun here too. Peter and I will toast you when we meet up next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp