Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to files from TOC

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Is there a way I could create a link to a file on my intranet within the table of contents? I have a PDF document that i want to include in my project, but I don't want to copy and paste the entire document, i want to make the PDF available as is. How would i go about doing this?

Thank You,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably you want to navigate the user to the PDF as soon as they click on the TOC? In other words you don't want the user to see a topic where they have to click on a link to go to the PDF? If so, there are a couple of ways I can see this working. First off you should be able to do this by use of a redirect topic. Rick Stone's tips n tricks file shows you how to do this. The other way would be use a HTML Help Control shortcut to launch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What an excellent suggestion, Colum!

As an aside, there is a benefit to using the redirect approach that isn't immediately obvious here or in those docs. The benefit? Well, clicking a link to open a PDF document doesn't display the PDF immediately as clicking a link to another HTML page would. As a result, your end users may think the link isn't working. They may even report to you that it's broken! Using the redirect, you are able to insert verbiage that advises them to have a little patience. The file is being retrieved and will open shortly.

Happy Friday all... Rick
(Who is watching from the sidelines with amusement while his government points fingers and bickers about who broke things in the country)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp