• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

out of order chapters in RH

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2008 Sep 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i upload a word doc into RH, all the chapters are out of sequence. how does that happend and how do i fix that?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us some more detail? Where are the chapters out of sequence? The TOC? If so, did you auto generate the TOC. It would also be useful to know what version of RH you are using and the output type you are trying to create. This goes for your other post also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

the chapters are out of synch under the topic list and also the project files (they are in different orders as well).

I did autogenerate when i uploaded the file. I am using RH7 and i want to create chm files for my own Helpfile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The topic list can be sorted from A to Z or from Z to A and can be sorted on things like topic name/ file name. It does not list the names of the word documents. Also the auto sync TOC option uses the topics in the project tab to create the TOC. If you need the TOC to be in any other order you hav to manually create it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks, so how do i change the file order in the project manager section as they are all out of order there too? if my final aim is to create a Helpfile, do i have to make sure the files are in the right order in the Prject Manager or does it not matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2008 Sep 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't......

....unless you change your topic titles! You don't need to have your project manager section the same as your TOC. Think of it as a repository from which you can create your TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James and Colum

Keep in mind that you may view what you see in the Project Manager two different ways.

* By Topic Title
* By File Name

You choose the way you see it via the View menu.
(The Project Manager does need to have focus first)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean like I mentioned in an earlier post 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - D'oh!

That'll learn me to post things before I've had my second cuppa! Mea culpa.

Sorry Colum. Somehow I just spaced that off!

Happy Thursday all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2008 Sep 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks all. so how do i get rid of my track changes that show up in RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be to accept/reject the changes in your word document before you import it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

done that but hasnt made a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that you:
a) saved the word document before imported.
b) deleted the old word document from your RH project.
c) are looking at the correct output location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2008 Sep 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there,

yes i can confirm that i did all of the above. any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

the word doc that i have compiled i aim to load into RH and then produce a file that i can give to my product department so that they can embed as a helpfile into a piece of software.

what end file do i send them for this to happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on what they want. You have a project which is single source. That means it can generate a variety of outputs. Which one is required will depend on what your developers want so you need to ask them that question. When you know what output is required, we can help you.

If the help is to be installed on end users PCs, the answer should be Microsoft HTML help and if it is to be on a server, it could be webhelp or flashhelp.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2008 Sep 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they require chm output. how do i get that in a single file?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You create a CHM file by compiling the list of topics. This generates the CHM file. You will see a folder in your project called "Single Source layouts". In there is a layout called "Microsoft HTML Help" and this is what is used to create a CHM file. Try double clicking on this using the default setting and see what you get.

BTW I hope you take this the right way but it sounds like you need some training. We don't mind answering your questions here but for your own peace of mind it might be worth seeing if you can get some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i appreciate that, i know i do need some but am compiling the helpfile in word at the moment. so my line of thinking was just been able to understand how to upload into RH and then produce the .chm. i guess there might be a little more to it than that though

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. We've all been there. As you are starting to find out, there is more to producing a help file than just writing and compiling. Feel free to ask away if you need further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2008 Oct 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i will need some one to one help just to make sure it turns out all right but in the meantime, i generated a primary layout but alot of the formatting is different (font, poisitoning etc). not sure where that went wrong. i guess thats the prob with editing in word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2008 Oct 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You'll find a style sheet (.css file) in your project which contains the styles you can use. If your Word styles don't match that you are bound to have issues such as this. It is worthwhile creating a style sheet to which you can match your word styles during the import of the Word document. Peter Grainge's site has lots of info on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp