4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2008 2:12 PM by Newsgroup_User

Website import

medicine1 Level 1
      Can I save the source code from my website into dreamweaver directly from the browser? And then relink the pages in dreamweaver?
        • 1. Re: Website import
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          You can sort of piece it back together in such a fashion sure. In my experiences background images or any images for that matter called by an external file (css) will have to be downloaded separately. You'll also have to download any other linked files (css, javascripts, etc).
          • 2. Re: Website import
            Level 7
            Using the browser will only get you the page as rendered in HTML. Comments,
            javascript, or other client code will be present, but all of your
            server-sided script (ASP.NET, PHP, etc) will be missing.

If you have access, you can define the site in DreamWeaver and get all of
            the source files through FTP. Simply define a blank site, provide the FTP
            information for the remote server, and click the Get (down) arrow. Any
            subsequent changes that you make locally can be synchronized on the remote
            site.

If you don't have FTP access, you can do as JoeyD suggested, or use a tool
            like WebAssist's SiteAssist to download the entire site in one operation.
            This will be subject to the limitations above, but can still be quite useful
            for learning new layouts, CSS styling, etc.

Hope this helps...

"medicine1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gbmobr$6qr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Can I save the source code from my website into dreamweaver directly from
            > the browser? And then relink the pages in dreamweaver?

• 3. Re: Website import
              Level 7
              > like WebAssist's SiteAssist

I think you mean WebAssist's Site Import. :-)

--

Walt

"Steve" <zen27157NO-SPAM@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
              news:gbmtmj$c3d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Using the browser will only get you the page as rendered in HTML.
              > Comments, javascript, or other client code will be present, but all of
              > your server-sided script (ASP.NET, PHP, etc) will be missing.
              >
              > If you have access, you can define the site in DreamWeaver and get all of
              > the source files through FTP. Simply define a blank site, provide the FTP
              > information for the remote server, and click the Get (down) arrow. Any
              > subsequent changes that you make locally can be synchronized on the remote
              > site.
              >
              > If you don't have FTP access, you can do as JoeyD suggested, or use a tool
              > like WebAssist's SiteAssist to download the entire site in one operation.
              > This will be subject to the limitations above, but can still be quite
              > useful for learning new layouts, CSS styling, etc.
              >
              > Hope this helps...
              >
              > "medicine1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              > news:gbmobr$6qr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> Can I save the source code from my website into dreamweaver directly from
              >> the browser? And then relink the pages in dreamweaver?
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Website import
                Level 7
                Yep, sure did. Thanks for spotting that, Walt.

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                news:gbom9n$ko2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> like WebAssist's SiteAssist
                >
                > I think you mean WebAssist's Site Import. :-)
                >
                > --
                >
                > Walt
                >
                >
                > "Steve" <zen27157NO-SPAM@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
                > news:gbmtmj$c3d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> Using the browser will only get you the page as rendered in HTML.
                >> Comments, javascript, or other client code will be present, but all of
                >> your server-sided script (ASP.NET, PHP, etc) will be missing.
                >>
                >> If you have access, you can define the site in DreamWeaver and get all of
                >> the source files through FTP. Simply define a blank site, provide the FTP
                >> information for the remote server, and click the Get (down) arrow. Any
                >> subsequent changes that you make locally can be synchronized on the
                >> remote site.
                >>
                >> If you don't have FTP access, you can do as JoeyD suggested, or use a
                >> tool like WebAssist's SiteAssist to download the entire site in one
                >> operation. This will be subject to the limitations above, but can still
                >> be quite useful for learning new layouts, CSS styling, etc.
                >>
                >> Hope this helps...
                >>
                >> "medicine1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                >> news:gbmobr$6qr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>> Can I save the source code from my website into dreamweaver directly
                >>> from the browser? And then relink the pages in dreamweaver?
                >>
                >>
                >
                >