Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embeding excel documents in topic

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2008 Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been trying to get an excel sheet to embed in my topic to no avail. Is there a way to do this or am i forced to recreate it as a table in the topic?

Thanks for all the help you have given

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I'm aware you can't embed in the same way as you can in Word. What you can do, is link to it. For example, "Click here to open an Excel spreadsheet". Then link to the file ensuring it is added to your baggage file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing then. What I would like to do is have my TOC on the left per usual and when I click on one of the topics the spreadsheet would show up in the main area on the right. This way I don't have to give access to more people than are needed to update a table within robohelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the Excel file to be external (and editable), you can embed it with the parser function from Microsoft. You would simply have the link as <A ONCLICK="parser('yourfile.xls')" STYLE=text-decoration:underline; COLOR: green; CURSOR: hand">Your link text</A> and then insert the parser function, shown below, into your HEAD section.

The Excel file must be in the same folder as the CHM file, and the user can edit the file, which could be a drawback.

My old version of RoboHelp removes this function in the WYSIWYG editor. Hopefully newer version won't do this. This function is necessary to find the path of external files and was included with the very first release of HTML Help.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If you want multiple users to update the Excel file then what you need to do is place the file somewhere they can access it (outside of RH) and then link to the URL (inside RH). If you have a file inside your RH project, any changes are not saved back to the help for others to access later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp