Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

mboxPC/pcid functionality doesn't appear to work

Level 6

Hi - we have a test that spans 2 different browsers - the 1st is IE that powers a desktop application and the 2nd is the user's default browser. The test starts inside IE and finishes on the user's 2nd browser. We've read all the documentation that is available (which isn't much) for doing this kind of stuff and we're tried every permutation of setting mBoxSession, mBoxPC and nothing seems to work. At best the functionality seems to work intermittently. When the user's pcID and session ID are matched across browsers I'd expect to see conversion activity attributed to the campaign but it's not.

Anyone on here had experience with this?

Thanks, Richard

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Richard

You can do this by passing the mboxsessionID along in a URL parameter named mboxSession. You can do this manually or using this plugin code mentioned below

<script type="text/javascript">
mboxFactoryDefault.addOnLoad(function(){var _appendSession=function(_tag){var _tags=document.getElementsByTagName(_tag);for(var i=0;i<_tags.length;i++){var _t=(_tag=='form')?_tags[i].action||'':_tags[i].href||'';if(_t!=''){if(_t.indexOf('avascript')==-1&&_t.indexOf('mboxSession=')==-1){var _glue=(_t.indexOf('?')>-1)?'&':'?';var _append=_glue+"mboxSession="+mboxFactoryDefault.getSessionId().getId();(_tag=='form')?_tags[i].action+=_append:_tags[i].href+=_append}}}};_appendSession('a');_appendSession('area');_appendSession('form')});
</script>

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 1

richard hayes wrote...

Hi - we have a test that spans 2 different browsers - the 1st is IE that powers a desktop application and the 2nd is the user's default browser. The test starts inside IE and finishes on the user's 2nd browser. We've read all the documentation that is available (which isn't much) for doing this kind of stuff and we're tried every permutation of setting mBoxSession, mBoxPC and nothing seems to work. At best the functionality seems to work intermittently. When the user's pcID and session ID are matched across browsers I'd expect to see conversion activity attributed to the campaign but it's not.

Anyone on here had experience with this?

Thanks, Richard

:)

Level 8

Hi Richard,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I am not able to understand the exact workflow you're trying to accomplish here with these tests. Please share more details which will help us troubleshoot this better.

Thanks

Nikhil

Level 6

..only just saw your response; so basically we want to run a test that spans 2 browsers which means the pcID changes. We've tried various approaches but the online documentation is lacking. I've recently spotted the below in the Adobe documentation and it sounds like one of these approaches might do it. Assuming one of these is the right approach, can you give an example of how you'd specify the visitor/session id across browsers? thanks, 

-----------------------------------------------------
Advanced mbox.js Settings​ > Client PC Id Support

Enables the ability to forcibly use your own unique identifier instead of Test&Target's unique identifier (mboxPC). This identifier must contain 20 characters or less.

Manually set this setting if you want the API to update the same PcId when repeated offline conversions occur for the same visitor.

Default: disabled
----------------------------------------

Advanced mbox.js Settings​ > Client Session Id Support

Enables the ability to forcibly use your own sessionId as the mbox sessionId. This identifier must contain 20 characters or less. This setting is useful for tracking.

Default: disabled

Level 1

Enables the ability to forcibly use your own sessionId as the mbox sessionId. This identifier must contain 20 characters or less. This setting is useful for tracking

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Richard

You can do this by passing the mboxsessionID along in a URL parameter named mboxSession. You can do this manually or using this plugin code mentioned below

<script type="text/javascript">
mboxFactoryDefault.addOnLoad(function(){var _appendSession=function(_tag){var _tags=document.getElementsByTagName(_tag);for(var i=0;i<_tags.length;i++){var _t=(_tag=='form')?_tags[i].action||'':_tags[i].href||'';if(_t!=''){if(_t.indexOf('avascript')==-1&&_t.indexOf('mboxSession=')==-1){var _glue=(_t.indexOf('?')>-1)?'&':'?';var _append=_glue+"mboxSession="+mboxFactoryDefault.getSessionId().getId();(_tag=='form')?_tags[i].action+=_append:_tags[i].href+=_append}}}};_appendSession('a');_appendSession('area');_appendSession('form')});
</script>

Hope this helps

Level 6

Hello - we've tried passing mboxSession through the URL and we can see the session ids are synced however it doesn't stitch together the visitor's session across browsers, therefore conversion are not recorded. We have tested this for many hours going between 2 browsers and nothing seems to work. So either there is a bug or this functionality isn't possible. Unfortunately Adobe's documentation is very poor with slightly more advanced topics so it's hard to know. 

Level 8

Hi,

In this case I'd request you to log a support ticket since it would require close co-ordination with the engineering team.

Thanks

Nikhil