• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating WebHelp output in .html format (vs in .htm format)

Sep 30, 2008 Sep 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're using RoboHelp X5. The Developers want us to generate the Help output with .html file extension (vs. .htm file extension). Could you please let me know how do we go about this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2008 Oct 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would strongly resist that because you are making a rod for your own back for no useful purpose whatever.

You have to manually change each topic file name within Project Manager and make sure you specify the extension for the start page when you generate. I think that will ensure all files are HTML but check it out. Also check out that everything works as whilst that will give the right file extension, I haven't tested search, index, glossary etc.

Also bear in mind there is no way to make RH create new files with that extension. You have to remember to do it manually yourself.

Unless the developers can come up with a very persuasive why, which does not include "because we are the developers", a suggestion that they do a foxtrot with Oscar might be appropriate.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"a foxtrot with Oscar"?

Boy, you Brits talk funny!

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well they say we Brits are too polite. Try taking the first letter of each word and see if you can make up a well known phrase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmmm....

F...

O...

Oh, my Gawwwwdd!!!!

Polite but randy. I like that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create new topics in Dreamweaver the default extension will be .html. You can then import them to RH. If you create the topic in RH it will default to .htm without the "l".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create new topics in Dreamweaver the default extension will be .html. You can then import them to RH. If you create the topic in RH it will default to .htm without the "l".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious as to whether you have tested RH does not change it on import. I haven't tried.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2008 Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, I am having the same problem. The developer told me something I dont quite understand. Something about an application servlet and all files named .htm go through it, therefore the static text from the help system has to be .html. I manually changed all my topics, but there is still a problem with the .htm files that robohelp creates on its own. The developer tried to change them outside of robohelp and of course the scripting broke. Is there any way to make robohelp generate .html instead of .htm? Thanks for your help.
Anne.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2008 Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm not Peter but I may have an answer to "Is there any way to make robohelp generate .html instead of .htm?"

No. At least not without violating the license agreement and then hacking MANY RH program files (including DLL files) - I don't think you want to go there.

Need more info from your developer. What language is the application? How do you make the call to Help?

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp