Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered Lists..Need blank line in between list items

Oct 02, 2008 Oct 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Here is my issue. I am using RH 7. When I use the numbered list feature, there are no blank lines in between list items. I find that to look sloppy. I can fake it by pressing SHIFT ENTER after each line item. That makes it look fine and translates fine to Web Help but when I generate my Word File from it, there ends up being an extra line in between line items. I assume this is because Word is using its numbered list feature, which is skipping lines. It's also adding that <BR> from RH.

SO...I guess I either need to know how to use RH to generate lists the way I want it to, or I need to know how to set word to not skip lines in between list items, so this way it will just skip ONE line due to that <BR> in the HTML.

I have a feeling this is simple but I am lost.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
When you edit the Lists style, you're changing the OL and UL tags. So in theory, anything you do to that style applies to the list as a whole and not to individual list items.

Colum was talking about creating a new "Other" style (or maybe a paragraph style, but list items aren't paragraphs, though RH tags them that way). Then, while still in the Styles dialog, you'd go to Format > Bullets and Numbering, and select the numbering you want. In Format > Paragraph, put a value in the After box to ge...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to amend the style sheet. Create a new style for your bullets, amend the line spacing and apply this to the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something isnt working for me.

I have this topic (and all topics) using the default.css.

I clicked Format> Styles and selected the Lists style from the Other option. Then I clicked Format> Paragraph and changed Line Spacing to Double. It doest seem to do anything.

What do you think I am doing wrong?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to stick my nose in, but I'm not sure if Colum is referring to the actual "Line spacing" box in the paragraph formatting. If you use the line spacing box, your spacing will be applied to every single line, not just in between list items. Instead, you'll want to put some value in the After box.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had to delete what I wrote. someone replied as I was writing this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you edit the Lists style, you're changing the OL and UL tags. So in theory, anything you do to that style applies to the list as a whole and not to individual list items.

Colum was talking about creating a new "Other" style (or maybe a paragraph style, but list items aren't paragraphs, though RH tags them that way). Then, while still in the Styles dialog, you'd go to Format > Bullets and Numbering, and select the numbering you want. In Format > Paragraph, put a value in the After box to get your spacing between list items.

Then apply this new style to your list items.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'll remove this reply, too--doesn't make sense if I leave it as is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sweet. Thanks Benja... I have been losing sleep over this. that worked awesome. so simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. doesnt seem to be doing exactly what I want. This puts spacing after each line. I just want spaces in between numbered items. I have some numbered items that are multiple lines.

??

Thanks

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
wait. Benjaminson's answer which I am about to mark as THE ANSWER is correct. For some reason, RH was double spacing as well. I took care of that and I think I will be on my way!
\
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp