Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

Maintaining referring URL parameters when using Adobe Target Classic Redirect Offer.

Level 1

Hi everyone

I have a question about including the referring URL parameters when using an Adobe Target Classic Redirect Offer.

I’m testing a redirect offer and have checked the option to include the referring url.  The problem is that when the referring parameter values are passed our colon symbols are being expressed as  %3A.  Is there a setting that we can use that would keep the : instead of the %3A?  Note that we often also switch from one subdomain to another as our test content is on a different Content Management System.

Example control URL

http://www.morethan.com/pet-insurance-quote?utm_campaign=PPC:PET:Brand:Google&gclid=ABC123&gclsrc=aw...

Example redirect destination with : to %3A replaced

http://beta.morethan.com/landingpage-test?utm_campaign=PPC%3APET%3ABrand%3A Google&gclid=ABC123&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any ideas or tips that I can try? Maybe there’s a config setting that I’m missing?

Thanks

Rik

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Rik

As Mihnea is showing if you use an HTML offer and add a script to handle the re-direct you can preserve your non-URL-encoded colons. Here is a sample offer that will simply change the subdomain from 'www' to 'www2' in the url for the redirect. Hence, everything in the path and query portion will be maintained as is.

<script type="text/javascript"> var oldURL = document.location+""; var newURL = oldURL.replace("www","www2") window.location.replace(newURL); </script>

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee Advisor

Rick,

This offer code should do the trick: 

<script type="text/javascript"> var qs='';window.location.search?qs=window.location.search:''; window.location.replace('//www.morethan.com/pet-insurance-quote?utm_campaign=PPC:PET:Brand:Google&gclid=ABC123&gclsrc=aw.ds'+qs+''+window.location.hash+''); </script>

Mihnea Docea  |  Technical Support Engineer  |  Adobe Digital Marketing

Level 1

Hi Mihnea

Thanks for your reply. Will this work for dynamic parameters? That is to say that ?utm_campaign=  is not a fixed value, and &gclid=  is unique to each inboud paid search link.   We always have 4 colon separators though e.g. ?utm_campaign=CHANNEL:PRODUCT:CAMPAIGNNAME:DOMAIN 

Appreciate your help.

Rik

Employee Advisor

Rick

I'm not sure since I don't know what custom code you have on the site to generate those URL parameters I can only recommend that you test it with your custom code and see if it works.

Mihnea Docea  |  Technical Support Engineer  |  Adobe Digital Marketing

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Rik

As Mihnea is showing if you use an HTML offer and add a script to handle the re-direct you can preserve your non-URL-encoded colons. Here is a sample offer that will simply change the subdomain from 'www' to 'www2' in the url for the redirect. Hence, everything in the path and query portion will be maintained as is.

<script type="text/javascript"> var oldURL = document.location+""; var newURL = oldURL.replace("www","www2") window.location.replace(newURL); </script>