Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What texture is this to replicate?

New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am trying to replicate the texture that is on this image or to make this fish look distressed or grungy, does anybody have any recommendations?

distressed-fish.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

So I did this very quickly and downloaded some free grunge/distressed brushes so that I didn't have to make them.... however that isn't terribly hard to do and i'll post a link about how to create custom brushes as well here:

I started off my image b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a very quick two cents: a layer mask and a customised brush look like one of the easiest ways to make this sort of look.

I'll post some screenshots in a while with some suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I did this very quickly and downloaded some free grunge/distressed brushes so that I didn't have to make them.... however that isn't terribly hard to do and i'll post a link about how to create custom brushes as well here:

I started off my image by making a duplicate of your example and then with a selection active... filling everything in blue so that i got rid of any distressed look etc... like so:

2017-05-31_14-23-10.png

I then created a layer mask... With the layer mask selected > I then choose one of the distressed brushes that I had downloaded for free (although there's no reason why I couldn't have made my own). Using the Keyboard Shortcut (D) and then (X) to have pure black selected I quickly applied some brush strokes to the layer mask and got something like this:

2017-05-31_14-41-21.png

Had I gone into the brush settings I could have played around with the brush more and maybe have applied some coloured versions to the layer as well as edits to the layer mask... Particularly could have tinkered with Opacity and Flow Jitter settings etc...

However, In principle I think this is actually not that hard to do (theoretically)... the difficulty comes in spending enough TIME to ensure the effect looks good.

But - as a final thought I will investigate the filter effects as well as it may be something like this exists as a two click process.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines