Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why should i set ram usage at 70 ? can't see any sense & improvement

Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

i have watched several lynda tutorials and in all these tutorials the author recommend to set ram in the preferences @ 100%

according to adobe optimize performance ->  Optimize performance Photoshop CC

they racomend to set to 70%

maybe there 2 silly questions

but

1)

on a windows computer with 32GB or 64GB (or more) is there any sense to set at 70% ?

2)

and about 3D Vram  , i don't use 3d in photoshop , on my computer is set to use 4GB or vram (never tweaked it)

is a good idea ,seeing i don't use 3D, set 3d vram to 0 , so photoshop could use it for 2d editing?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Setting the RAM to 100% helps only of you have 4/8 gb and terrible lag. On a machine, with good specs(like you said 64 gigs) it's not useful as Photoshop might never use that much. So 70%(neither too high nor too low) is set as a standard for most systems.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Giovannivolontè,

Thanks for posting on Adobe Forums.

1> Most of the times Photoshop only uses 10 to 50 percent of the total Ram assigned to it. 70% of RAM is recommended because while using Tools like 3D(that you've mentioned don't use) or rendering videos it might slow down/crash due to lack of memory. So by allocating 70% memory to Photoshop, You're not dedicating it only to Ps and there is no need to increase/decrease it unless there is a notable performance lag.

2> Photoshop utilizes your GPU for many other operations and it is recommended to allocate all the VRAM, Application will use it as much whenever required,

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks Akash

so just like i have watched in many tutorials set the ram at 100% is worse then 70%

is better to keep always at 70%?

ps the only lag i have seeing is work in 16bit mode , with lots lots of layers and luminocity maskes created with lumenzia (extensions) ,lots of adjustaments layers like curve ,selective color, levels , and so on with lumincity maskes

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the RAM to 100% helps only of you have 4/8 gb and terrible lag. On a machine, with good specs(like you said 64 gigs) it's not useful as Photoshop might never use that much. So 70%(neither too high nor too low) is set as a standard for most systems.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution in your case is to either close all background programs or get more ram. Setting your ram usage to a certain number won't do much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines