• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot select any objects

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC, up to date running on Windows 7 64bit.  I had a problem yesterday of CC not loading any apps so I could open them.  Adobe Support had me run the cleaner and reinstall CC (I never changed the default settings/preferences in anything so no biggie).

Today I open PS.  Open an image, open another image, copy and paste the second image onto the first and now I cannot select it.  Tried it with several image formats and even created text.  Nothing can be selected with any tools, it is as if the image is flattened and even then it can't be selected.  Only happening in PS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

If resetting preferences does not bring the tools back to normal working order, then I would normally advise you to uninstall then run the CC cleaner then re-install. However, your first post said you have already done that.

Are you able to capture a screen video to show exactly what you are doing and what is happening (we may see something that we are missing in the screenshot or description)?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you trying to select the object(s). Can you show a screenshot?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried both the direct selection and path selection tool, hand tool, rectangular marquee tool, lasso, etc.  Nothing works to select anything.  Brush, eraser, etc work as intended so it's not like the objects are locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a screenshot of the whole of your Photoshop including file and layers panel etc to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I cannot see anything wrong with your settings. I wouldn't expect the direct selection tool to do anything on a pixel layer, but if you say none of the other selection tools work then it sounds like it is time to reset your preferences.

Go to Preferences - General and choose Reset Preferences on Quit - then restart Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that and there is no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS6 and all has been working fine until yesterday.....I loaded an image and then a second image over the first and it would not come up.  It just showed a dotted line square around the first image and an X across the first image.  Any thoughts anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still cannot select any objects, but if I use the Move tool I can move them.  Problem not solved but at least I can work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting preferences does not bring the tools back to normal working order, then I would normally advise you to uninstall then run the CC cleaner then re-install. However, your first post said you have already done that.

Are you able to capture a screen video to show exactly what you are doing and what is happening (we may see something that we are missing in the screenshot or description)?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CTRL+T is what I needed.  That allowed me to select and resize pixel objects.

Replying just in-case anyone has this same "problem" and finds this through a search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue, Contrl + T solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contrl + T also help me ...

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!! I was struggling so much with this! Thank you for posting the answer to the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines