Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating second path in a shape

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am trying to follow this youtube tutorial (Animate On Banners - Adobe After Effects tutorial - YouTube ~ at 2.18) for creating animated banners in After Effects CC and when I try to add a shape to my current shape. The shape is out of proportion and is distorted. How can I fix this?

My attempt.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the layer scaled? I'll bet the layer is scaled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I figure out if it is scaled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the layer and press "S" to reveal the scale property. Or twirl open the transform properties for the layer.

If that's not it, it's also possible that your composition is not a square pixel composition. You can get your composition settings by pressing Ctrl+K (CMD+K on Mac) or by going to Composition>Composition Settings. Check the pixel aspect ratio and see if it's square pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the tutorial it doesn't look like your shape is distorted or out of place at all.  It looks square and it looks like it's exactly where it should be.

Based on your asking how you would find out if your shape has been scaled I'd say you have little to zero experience with after effects.

The thing about working with these types of programs is that there is a certain base level of knowledge required before you can even ask the right question because the processes and tools often have their own vocabulary that someone without any knowledge would not know.

What I'm getting at is a question.  Are you sure you are using the correct terms to describe your issue?  Because as I said.  Your object does not look either distorted or out of place.  I doubt it's your composition's pixel setting because if it were the issue would be with everything & not just that one square

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gutter-Fish,

I created a smaller polystar shape inside the square and was asking how to adjust the size of it. This is my first time creating 2 paths in 1 shape layer.

It does not give you an option to adjust the scale of the second path in the shape layer (which is circled in blue). I was able to solve the problem by deleting the shape layer and starting from scratch.

screen shot 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see.  Thanks for your explaining it to me in a different way.  There is no scale in your path options because you're using a non-bezier path.  The "inner & outer radius" serve that function.  However further there should be a menu for "Transform: Polystar" in which there is a scale function.  You say that you did it over and it worked ok, which seems to indicate it may have been something you did to cause the problem.  Did you figure out what may have gone wrong?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines