• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can i edit gopro videos on this laptop ?

New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am going travelling around the world for a year and would like I small laptop that can handle minimal video editing with little stress/ slowness whilst doing it.

I will be mainly editing gopro hero 5 videos, which shoot in 1080p/2.7k/4k.

I have come across this laptop which is small, light and packs a punch regarding specs for my price range (not looking to spend more than £600 ideally, unless it's a necessity for what I want to do.). 13 inch and smaller is what I am aiming for due to backpacking.

Toshiba Satellite Radius P20W-C-106 12.5" 4K Intel Core I7-6500U 2.5GHz 8GB 256GB Win10 2in1 Laptop In Silver

Would this be suitable to just edit videos in premiere pro, throwing some music in the background, etc. Really basic stuff.

I stress Adobe premiere because it is what my girlfriend is used to editing with at work and she will be doing most of the editing.

Any advice welcome, thank you.

[Moderator note: title modified for clarity, moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excruciatingly sluggishly, I'm afraid. (As in it will take several hours just to render even a couple of minutes of video content.) You see, GoPro video is extremely taxing on the CPU and RAM to begin with. Unfortunately, your laptop's CPU has only two physical cores, and that 8GB is the absolute bare minimum amount of RAM just to even run any of the latest releases of Premiere Pro CC at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Randall said it only has that one 256 GB (I assume) SATA III drive.  Premiere loves two drives at that speed.  So if you do decide to try it plan on getting a Samsung T3  portable USB3.1 SSD to use for your project files. 

I see it can not be expanded in RAM so you are indeed stuck with only 8 GB.

Also that unit has a 4K screen that is only 12.5" which might be a problem reading the menus.

Also editing on a laptop really requires that it be plugged into AC power as on battery everything slows down immensely to save battery time.

Also there is no graphics acceleration on that Intel® HD Graphics 520

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replies. It seems I cannot get away with this then !

Yes I was planning to bring an external hard drive for my videos, would this mean internal memory shouldn't matter that much as long as it's SSD? Also, battery power doesn't matter too much. As I plan on only doing editing at night or monsoon in accommodation, plugged in.

My problem is the power I need for the size. Slugging around anything larger than 13" isn't ideal whilst backpacking.

Is the minimum requirements for a decent experience editing say intel quad core and at least 12gb RAM? Also, what about an Intel dual core with hyper threading ? (i5 and i7 series)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Wayne+1986  wrote

My problem is the power I need for the size. Slugging around anything larger than 13" isn't ideal whilst backpacking.

You really need a laptop to be plugged in to the power adapter, otherwise the CPU will be throttled back by the built in energy saving features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines