• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Application unable to Start correctly (0xc0000022)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader on Windows 8.1.  I have downloaded and am working on various tax forms.  Every time I open the Reader, or open or save an individual file, I get this Windows Application Error, “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application”. 

I have re installed the reader several times and have used the “adobe eraser” to clean out old files.  I have tried the “repair” features.  None have helped.  However, despite the error message, the PDF files usually will open or "save" after several clicks but I can't depend on this.  Can you help?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

You must try the following steps-

Run the repair for the of Microsoft visual C++ 2013 Redistributable(x64&x86) and try again.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 (right click and repair)

If it still doesn't work then, uninstall it completely and reinstall it again through-

Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain why this is assumed answered.  I have seen nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got tired of waiting on this issue -  I tried everything in the world from probably 15 different forums and websites.  You'd think SOMEONE would have a solution that works!  NOT.  I'm running Win 8.1 (refuse to go to 10) and never had this issue before that last change from Adobe last December...  Nuff said.  Today, I went searching for OLD versions and found (oldapps.com) a reader version from Dec, 2014 that works just fine and it is much smaller.  Technically, I don't see the difference with what I need the reader for anyway.  Bottom line:  I am now running version 11.0.10 09 from Dec, 2014 and it works JUST FINE -  no more 0xc0000022 errors for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To jimb80873128,

Jim, Thank you very much.  I think I tried everything you did but had not thought of searching for old versions outside of Adobe websites.  Anyway, I downloaded the Reader version you recommended and it seems to work fine...with no error messages.

I had no problems finding, downloading and installing the application.  I can't find anything that I need to do, that I can't do with the older version. I downloaded a tax form, partially completed and saved it -- so for me that's half the battle.

So thanks again.  The error messages were driving me crazy.

Dennis Spagnoli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Adobe

I hope this is just a temporary workaround solution.  I like to think that, someday, i can download a new version of the reader and have it function without problems. Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Sincerely,

Dennis Spagnoli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help.  No need for you to go thru all the crap that I had to do and it STILL not work!  Frustrating that Adobe doesn't want to address the 'issues'......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same error on Windows 10 and the latest Adobe Reader. So it is not backward compat issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - i have uninstalled and reinstalled 2 x's and still get the error. I am running windows 10.  i am able to "open" and "save as" after I click ok to the error message.  still very annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!  It just started today - IN OCTOBER!  I downloaded the C ++ and that did nothing.  I'm also on Windows 10.  I had to print my resume from MY PHONE!   ADOBE NEEDS TO FIX THIS!

I was using Adobe just fine yesterday.  No problems -  NOW I can't do a thing with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried your way but it doesnt"t work!

I wanna play a game but it keeps saying error (0x0000022),please if You have any solutions

Thnak You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe 11.0 works with windows 10. The new version gives me the same error everyone has gotten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think adobe reads this.  They certainly don't listen when called.  Just installed acrobat 9.0 since 11 doesn't work anymore unless you pay an extra $300, yeah right when i can load old version for $0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for inconvenience caused to you. Please provide following information :

• platform/OS Information
  • Reader DC Version
  • Provide exact steps when seeing error
  • Screenshot of the error
  • Screenshot of the Task manager, make sure AcroRd32.exe and RdrCEF.exe are shown in the screenshot

Kindly keep us posted.

-Thanks

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Team :

Platform/OS Info      Windows 10 / OS 14393.1066   64-bit

Adobe Reader     2017 Release/Version 2017.009.20044

Exact steps taken:  Opening any .pdf file and then get this message

Screen shot error message:

0xc0000022 Error Message.JPG

From Task Manager at time of this error:

AcroRd32 whem 0xc0000022 Error.JPG

RdrCEF when 0xc0000022 Error.JPG

Hope this helps.  I am not super technical. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what has happened to me when I installed the latest version of Adobe Reader DC on my laptop (MS Surface Pro running Win 10).  I have another PC (also running Win 10) with an older version of Reader - no problems.  I had a presentation to give and had to save all the files in Power Point to get around this problem which would have destroyed my presentation.  Adobe ---- FIX THIS!!

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acrobatDC-error.png

Latest version of DC, windows 10 creator's update which ran on 4-17-17. Removing and reinstalling does nothing.  I had to revert to Reader 11 to stop the error.  This seems like a pretty big bug, there are multiple threads on this forum about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

You must try the following steps-

Run the repair for the of Microsoft visual C++ 2013 Redistributable(x64&x86) and try again.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 (right click and repair)

If it still doesn't work then, uninstall it completely and reinstall it again through-

Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download...

Relaunch the Acrobat Reader

Let us know if it still doesn't work.

-Thanks

Sunil Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for a while and this solution worked for me.  My computer (Windows 10) has  2012, 2013 & 2015 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ so I went down the list and hit repair until there were no longer any options to repair then restarted my computer and opened Reader again.  This cleared up the issue.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sunil    This solution also helped me.  For my issue, I consider this to be Closed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad !!!

Please mark this thread answered/Helpful for other users.

-Thanks

Sunil Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid if this doesn't work I may be in trouble.  I went to the link provided and Microsoft says this download is no longer available.  If the solution above does not work how can I get this error resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone who are still observing this issue Application unable to Start correctly (0xc0000022),

Above solution is to fix the Reader DC(AcroRd32.exe) issue which is unable to start but there are cases when RdrCEF.exe process unable to start and both looks same issue at glance but actually both are the different altogether.

Kindly post the screenshot of the error and steps to be followed for the same to investigate the issue further.

Request you to update reader via Help->Check for update... Please share following if still observing the issue.

• Reader version and system information
  • Share Memory dump of crashing Reader
    • enable the Windows crash reporting WER feature. Steps to enable crash dump creation: Collecting User-Mode Dumps (Windows)
    • OR You can also use the attached registry key to enable the automatic crash dump creation. This will place the dump at C:\Dumps\. dump.reg

You can upload and send via https://cloud.acrobat.com/send

Please let us know how it goes.

-Thanks

Sunil Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted by myself and others this is not a universal fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines