• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom white balance tint adjust limitation (underwater photo)

New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Does anyone know how to increase white balance tint (greed/red) adjust limitation? I'm currently processing several underwater RAW photos shooting on Olympus TG4 without any light equipment, expected underwater has less red light and more green or blue color, when I try to adjust white balance, tint is already reach max 150 but still looks greenish ... same raw photo can be adjusted to close to actual object color in Olympus software so I believe the raw image has that capability to do that also in Lightroom, which just need to increase ting adjust range.

The reason why I use Lightroom instead of Olympus software is Olympus software is very slow and unstable, and I knew if red gain is too high will cause serious noise, but for sharing to friends is still acceptable with resized image, and it would be better to share colorful image instead of bad white balance greenish photo.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the HSL/Color/B&W section in the Color mode for more adjustments. You could also try different WB: lighting options first then adjust the Temp-Tint.

Have you tried the Auto option in the WB: drop down?

Why not upload one of the raw images to Dropbox and post a link to it in this thread so other users can have a go at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, actually I've tried both adjust color temperature manually and use WB selector at beginning, but they're not perfectly working as expectation.

1. You can see in right side is raw image adjust WB by pointing selector at sea slug white area in Olympus software, and left side is doing the same thing in LR, color temperature is auto adjusted and tint is already tuned to max value.

34945871555_6c0e7c351f_o.jpg

2. If I adjust WB manually, and fine tune color in HSL section, ignoring slight color differen, thee image is close to expectation but unfortunately HSL color adjustment is not continuous and making strange green color in between.

34945871895_b759c705c4_o.jpg

If you would like to try my raw image, please download from below link, ORF is TG4 original raw image format and LR can import it directly.

Dropbox - P5110170.ORF

From Olympus software experience, I think it's not very difficult to tune WB with simple color temperature and tint adjustment instead of trying incontinuous HSL color adjustment if LR can open wider tint adjust range...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still have a color cast, say green, try brushing on the complimentary color, in this case, Cyan. You can vary the density and flow to put in just the amount of Cyan to offset the green.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bhousto90, thank you for the suggestion, but this method doesn't work for my case, DNF profiles still has it adjust limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What you need to do is create a custom DCP Camera profile, done underwater. The 'limitations' are based upon the actual profile and a custom profile might allow you to achieve what you wish. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JS755332​.
Like you, i haven't found any way to over correct the white balance in LR.
One solution i use is to import the picture in Photoshop and use the Camera RAW filter (CTRL+SHIFT+A). You can even stack this filter!
That way you can go very far on the white balance correction (i even use it for ultra violet underwater photography)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi damien nc

Unfortunately my LR is standalone version, not like subscribe version come with PS, still hope if LR can open wider WB and tint adjustment range to easily solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JS755332  wrote

Hi https://forums.adobe.com/people/damien+nc

Unfortunately my LR is standalone version, not like subscribe version come with PS, still hope if LR can open wider WB and tint adjustment range to easily solve this problem.

Actually, there is no difference in that feature of Lightroom between the standalone version and the "subscription" version. The only thing that could be limiting your white balance choices is it the images are JPEG images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is work around and yes its an annoying limitation - it forced me to use canon DPP or Capture 1 for ambient light underwater shots as they CAN dial in more tint.

The work around someone else described is here:-

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_white_balance_adjustments_for_und...

Basically, get the DNG profile creator from Adobe (free) and create a new camera profile where the only change you make is drag the tint to the maximum allowed (100 or 150).  Then select that profile in the camera calibration tab in lightroom.  You will then in effect START from the maximum allowed and set by the profile and be allowed to add up to 150 more.  This is enough for pretty much all shots.

It works but i wish such a workaround wasn't needed.  ACR in general is a long way behind others these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, the WB temp / tint sliders in Basic do have a limit on their range, as with all the other sliders there.

It is possible to get still more effect via a local adjustment - for example brushing over the whole picture, or making a graduated filter that begins in full strength right from one edge of the picture. Then you can set this to apply whatever further degree of WB Temp / Tint adjustment (or whatever) you want.

If even that's not enough, you can add a (separate) second local adjustment right over the top - and so on.

However such very large corrections may be better handled in some more optimal and direct way, perhaps by a custom camera calibration profile. And/or, perhaps consider assisting the adjustment using the manual colour response sliders in the Camera Calibration panel. Those can alter the image's hues very powerfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I see you posted this in 2017. I am having the exact problem right now. Also RAW, also underwater photos without artificial light. Did you find any solution on the limitation of tint in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines