• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text wrap seem erratic (Was "indesign")

New Here ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using CC2017 I am trying to create a book of 100 pages and 20 pictures. Text wrap around pictures sometimes works, sometimes not. Picture locks to text frame only sometimes and sometimes not, works very erratic. Spent a lot of time on things that I've gotten so used to working with that I just feel I am wasting time with a product that still has fundamental problems. Any positive results out there for similar projects?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yes, most of the planet runs successful publishing projects using InDesign. Why don't you describe with more detail what you are doing and how you observe it not working? If you provide details, maybe someone can help sort you out.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I have:

One page of a very basic document containing

4 frames with a picture inside #1, #2, #3, #4

1 frame with text inside

What seems to work on all frames is fit frame to content or vice versa

What does not seem to be doing anything at all is auto-fit

Moving all the frame contents around works most of the time but:

Sometimes, (not all the time) When moving #4 picture (not by it’s frame circle) it just moves the frame, not the picture

After moving #3 picture a little, now moving #4 picture works the way it should, the picture moves with the frame.

Conclusion of this exercise is that the movement of the content of one frame affects the movement of the content of another frame.

Like I said, the operations does not seem to be consistent..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does not seem to be doing anything at all is auto-fit

By default, when you resize a frame containing an image, the image is not resized. Turning autofit on for a graphic frame means that when you resize the frame, the graphic will resize along with it. If you don't resize the frame, you will not see autofit do anything.

Sometimes, (not all the time) When moving #4 picture (not by it’s frame circle) it just moves the frame, not the picture

If the image is inside a frame, and you move the frame the image will move along with it. If you click the doughnut (aka the Content Grabber) you will move the picture inside the frame, and not the frame. If you inadvertently click the content grabber and don't realize it, when you go to move the frame, the picture will move instead. You can see this is about to happen because the image handles are amber.

Dragging now will move the frame:

InDesign CCss_004.png

Dragging now will move the image inside the frame:

InDesign CCss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. Investigating a little further I now see that InDesign is the wrong program for what I am trying to do. Writing a book with lots of pictures, text wrap, using Word does everything smooth, no hicku-ps, no surprises, just the way you would expect things to work these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly wouldn't designate InDesign as "wrong" for book layout with pictures and text wrap, but I strongly believe that one should take the time to learn a new application before tackling a large project. As I said in my first response to you, "understanding that what you learned from a previous application like Word, for example, doesn't translate directly over."

InDesign is specifically meant for document design and layout, but it is a complex application that takes time to learn, and it doesn't work like Word. I do a lot of book layout in InDesign personally, but as a career trainer, I can tell you from experience that most of my students don't find InDesign intuitive—that's why I still have students coming to class!

That said, if Word is working for you—and it sounds like you already know how to use it—then I wish you the very best with your project, juergh4770341.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is great and used by a lot of publishing professionals. I know of no professional using Word for DTP. I have extensive experiences in both, Word and InDesign. I have created many manuals and books using both tools. I have broken my neck in getting a Health&Safety manual into Word and it worked fine, using the usual tricks (pictures into tables for example). The aim was to have the authors changing their chapters on their own. This never worked out, because of the inability of the users for following a structured document discipline and due to the inability of Word not to crash your document at the first occasion. When I then take into account, that Word does a poor typesetting job and is not prepared for exchanging the document with a professional printer, I refuse to do things like that again.

I suppose you are new to InDesign. Please do not assume that the product is not suited for your needs but assume that you do not know how to use this great tool.

juergh47703416  wrote

Writing a book with lots of pictures, text wrap, using Word does everything smooth, no hicku-ps, no surprises, just the way you would expect things to work these days.

You do not seem having a lot of experience with Word neither. Word is well suited for writing little essays with a few pictures in and no professional page set-up.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Strange, I checked with a number of printers and they all said they prefer Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. It comes down to learning how InDesign handles actions like text wrap and anchoring images to text, and understanding that what you learned from a previous application like Word, for example, doesn't translate directly over. Once you know how to do it, it's both straightforward and reliable.

You can show us a layout and ask specific questions, or better yet, here's a link for 10 days at Lynda.com—you might watch David Blatner's tutorials on these specific topics on his InDesign Essentials Training title. 30 minutes of watching the explanations can save you hours on your layout.

InDesign CC 2015 Essential Training

Online Video Tutorials at lynda.com • lynda.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines