• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Save Picture as" -- is this handy feature available in ID?

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, back for more ...

In Quark there is an easy way to save all of the images in your file at once. It's called "Save Picture As" ... and you can specify "all in layout" or not.

This feature allows you to save all your images with: a specific cropping/bleed, based on the box it's been placed in  (e.g., none, or 1/8 of an inch all around); a specific resolution (same or less than what you have in the picture box); and a format -- png, jpeg or whatever. Plus it will save the image as RGB or CMYK. It will also rotate the file for you if it's rotated in the picture box. The wonderful thing about this is that in a printed booklet of about 250 mugshots, which have to be used also on the web, it's a ****huge**** time and sanity saver.

My question is, can I do this in InDesign? Otherwise what I'm thinking is that I'll just send the ID file to be converted to Quark, and then do it that way. Sounds crazy, but at least I know it would work.

Thank you for your help with this!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

There is a script that may serve your needs.

Go to InDesignScripts/image-export at master · le-tex/InDesignScripts · GitHub

Ran a quick test and it downsampled to a given dpi AND maintained the cropping I applied in ID.

Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think there would be a script for it, perhaps. You might try the InDesign Secrets forums or the scripting forums here in the Adobe forums. I thought I had seen one, but not sure it retained info from the InDesign file (cropping, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The wonderful thing about this is that in a printed booklet of about 250 mugshots, which have to be used also on the web, it's a ****huge**** time and sanity saver.

If you are trying to re-purpose the placed images for web, you can export a PDF and force the output resolution via the export compression tab—Downsample to 72ppi for images above 72ppi would export all the images at 72ppi. Then in AcrobatPro you can export the cropped images:

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 7.02.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, I tried exporting from Acrobat Pro, and it does work, but it renames all of the files, so it won't work for this purpose ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a script that may serve your needs.

Go to InDesignScripts/image-export at master · le-tex/InDesignScripts · GitHub

Ran a quick test and it downsampled to a given dpi AND maintained the cropping I applied in ID.

Colin

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Colin ... it looks promising! Will post back with results. It's my first time using a script ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this is what you mean?

Can you package your file to a safe place as a back up

Run the script

From what I can see it will resize all images in the document to 100% and replace them in the layout

https://www.scriptopedia.org/en/js-indesign/156-resizeimages-2-27-en.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is another useful script that I'd love to use, but not what I was looking for. Colin's script worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines