• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag and Drop in Layers Not Working

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the beginners YouTube video provided by Photoshop on how to change a background to white. The video is simple and streamlined lasting a mere minute and 16 seconds. I am stuck at the last phase. I am instructed to "drag and drop the created layer below the main layer."

Drag and drop does not work.

How can I restore this feature so that I can drag the layer?

Here is the video: How to Change Background from Transparent to White in Photoshop CS6 - YouTube  (I am at the 58 second mark).

Can you assist please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

I gave you the answer in my previous response... nothing can go below a background layer. Drag the lock icon in the background layer to the trash... then you can re-arrange them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that I am using CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to guess that your bottom layer is a background layer and not a regular layer. You need to unlock the background layer and turn it into a regular layer - in CS6, you can drag the lock icon to the trashcan... If this is not the case, post a screenshot of layers....

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your prompt reply! Here are the requested screenshots:

PhotoShop Screenshot 1.jpg

PhotoShop Screenshot 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave you the answer in my previous response... nothing can go below a background layer. Drag the lock icon in the background layer to the trash... then you can re-arrange them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to successfully move the layers, however, I was not able to change the background to white. Using the 60 second video posted below and provided by Photoshop I performed the following steps:

1) Opened a simple photo.

2) Selected a new layer from the sub-menu.

3) Chose white from the color palette.

4) Chose Paint Bucket Tool and then clicked on my photo which turned it all white (just like the video)

5) Dragged and dropped the created layer under the main layer

6) Clicked flatten image which was supposed to turn the background in my photo white)

My photo looks exactly the same.

I don't know how to get any simpler than a 60 second video. Can you assist again please?

How to Change Background from Transparent to White in Photoshop CS6 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image was never transparent... its an object, with a shadow on a white background. if you want the background to be completely white, you need to select your image and remove the background.

I suggest you take a class if you want to learn Photoshop. Learning from videos is tricky when you are first starting, there are clearly a few details missing making you unsuccessful. There are plenty of places out there to learn, I teach online at creative-training.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and sorry to trouble you further. What I am trying to do with Photoshop is very simple: turning a grayish-white background with a solitary object (a handbag for example) into a crisp white background. I am not doing anything sophisticated with Photoshop and the bulk of my photos do not have shadows. The borders are usually very clean and well demarcated.

Can you please provide instructions or a very *simple* video for how to turn backgrounds white using photos of solitary items with clean borders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you think it's very simple, but it's not... You need to make a selection of your object - try using the quick selection tool, then make a layer mask from your selection to view the layer below, or simply delete the background. If using the magic wand tool to select the background doesn't work, it's not simple.

I'm sorry I don't have time to make you a video. I get paid to teach photoshop and can't afford to to teach it for free. Look up how to make selections...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your response. I apologize as I had no expectation at all that you make me a video. I am merely asking for a link to a video that has already been made. I have looked through dozens of videos but all of them involve complicated steps that do not apply to what I am trying to do:

***Change a grayish white background to plain white using a photo of a simple and solitary object***

I understand and appreciate your time constraints. If you are pressed for time can you please transfer me to a technician who can provide the steps necessary to change a background to white utilizing the least amount of steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to learn how to make selections. Here is one of my videos... the fact that you perceive your object as simple is irrelevant this is not a simple process. I can't refer you to someone else. I don't work for adobe. I volunteer my time to answer questions here. No else has jumped in, so you are stuck with me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K0K7yF1Yntc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines