• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Return of interactive forms

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have designed a form/flyer in InDesign and included within it an interactive section eliciting responses from its recipients. As it's 'Submit' button, I have added a hyperlink of my email address.

I have sent the form to myself and then have also sent it to various other colleagues on the same (university) network (Outlook), to people outside of this server in other work or domestic pcs, and to a colleague in the USA who uses Outlook mail. Some recipients have tried returning the form using both Outlook and Webmail.

However, only 3 of the internal recipients (including myself) have been able to send back the form and have me receive it. All other recipients have sent back the form (sometimes several times) and so far I have not received emails from any of them.

I can't afford to use this method to send out the forms if the returns are going to be irregular and I am unable to trust that I shall receive the responses.

Does anyone know how to guarantee greater consistency: has anyone had the same issue? Thanks.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really sounds like a question about PDF, as I am pretty confident you did not send your InDesign documents around. Best suggestion: check the Acrobat forums forthe best match, and ask in there: Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jongware, this isn't an ID issue but rather an issue about the functionality of the PDF.

FWIW, my work implemented a policy that any proof that goes to a client via email or upload MUST be an interactive PDF approval form. The base of the form is generated by our MIS, and then I've written a script that opens an ID template with interactive fields, calls upon the user to grab the PDF generated by the MIS, and then the script sticks it in the bottom layer of the ID file and spits out an interactive PDF with submit button.

Here's the kicker: the responses we get back are varied. Usually, we receive the response "looks great, thanks" in a reply email, rather than the actual form. Other times, people either print the form out and fax it back, or scan the form and send us the scan back, or worse still, open the form in word, save the changes as a PDF and then send the PDF back as a separate attachment (I didn't think it was possible but yes, it is).

Where the form DOES work is when a client opens the form in Adobe Acrobat (reader or pro) version XI or up and hits the submit button, and then navigates through the mess of warning dialog boxes asking "are you sure?". Understand though that in this day and age, clients aren't opening PDFs with Acrobat by default anymore, and PDFs can open in edge, firefox, chrome, preview just to name a few, and the way they handle interactivity differs to how Acrobat handles it. It's to the point where in my email to the client, I have to insist that they open the proof form (and the PDF proof of the artwork) in Adobe Acrobat, and even then there's no guarantee they'll do it.

Not sure if this is of any use to you, but worth providing you an actual use-case.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes to all of the above that Jongware and Colin stated. To emphasize one of Colin's points, I think that the most important thing is for people to open the form in Adobe Acrobat or Reader XI  or higher and submit the form using the Submit button in the form.

The times that I've had similar problems it is because the form was opened in other sotware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines