• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What causes un-keyed velocity/value inflection?

Participant ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes this happens to me, and I have yet to figure out what is causing it. Look at the attached image of the curve graph showing the X-position value (red) of an object: just to the right of the playhead there is an inflection point dip but no keyframe there. Why is that showing up? This causes the object to waffle undesirably back and forth once, when all I want it to do is go linearly from the red keyframe to the left of the playhead to the red keyframe on the right. Shouldn't the values by default linearly interpolate?

Thanks forum.

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 11.10.31 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017
Shouldn't the values by default linearly interpolate?

no, because Ae insists on making the default to linear unchecked in the preferences. I always keep it checked:

if it's after the fact, Horshack​'s advice will work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because it's a spatial keyframe, which can have movement between the keyframes depending on the bezier curve defined for it. A quick way to resolve the issue is to right/control click on the keyframe, select Keyframe Interpolation, and change the Spatial Interpolation to linear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't the values by default linearly interpolate?

no, because Ae insists on making the default to linear unchecked in the preferences. I always keep it checked:

if it's after the fact, Horshack​'s advice will work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are showing a value graph for two parameters in an array. Depending on the motion and properties animated the lines may not necessarily be straight lines. When posting a screenshot cropping essential information like what properties you are animating and the modified properties of a layer are much more useful than a close up of a problem. Don't worry about the size, just take a screenshot and drag it to the reply field or use print screen and paste and we'll have a lot more to go on and you'll get help a lot faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines