• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign hangs intermittently - what should I look for?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using InDesign CC, 2017.1, 12.1.0.56 x64 build on Windows 10.

The app runs fine for a while but starts getting extremely slow to the point where every action takes minutes and even scrolling is close to impossible.

The Laptop is a Dell with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi robinm,

If I get your query correctly, InDesign 2017 get slow after some while working it?

Could you please confirm if it happens with one file or multiple files and where the files are saved?

You may also try resetting preferences for InDesign

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign 

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Correct, the most common symptom is that InDesign slows after some time.  But other apps like Photoshop and Illustrator also start behaving strangely on this machine.

Illustrator sometimes hangs when trying to save the working file - and after 5min suddenly saves.

InDesign sometimes shows the message "InDesign has stopped working and needs to be closed".

This behaviour seems to happen with all files, not just one of them.  The files are saved on the local drive in the Desktop.

The link that describes how to reset preferences says

(Windows) Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

However, when I do this, nothing happens - I don't see a dialog asking if I want to delete preference files...  Is there a special sequence to hold the keys down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi robinm,

Thanks for writing back. Please try to delete preferences folders for InDesign.

Close InDesign and all Adobe applications.

Delete or rename InDesign folders from below mentioned locations

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Adobe\

and Launch InDesign from Creative Cloud application

If it still does not work,

Create new local user account with admin rights. For details click here https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/instantanswers/5de907f1-f8ba-4fd9-a89d-efd23fee918c/create-a-loc...

Check how InDesign and other applications work in new user.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Here's something out of left-field.

The laptop came with Mcafee antivirus installed.  Just coincidentally, it came up for renewal (expensive) and after taking advice I activated the Windows defender software and uninstalled Mcafee.

Since then, the Adobe products have been working perfectly and we haven't seen the hanging/crashing symptoms that I originally reported. 

So we'll give it another week, but it *looks* as though it might have been some sort of interference by Mcafee...

Thanks

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi robinm,

Thanks for writing back. Is everything is working fine from last 3 days ? Have you noticed any further crashes?

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No more crashes!

Thanks,

Rob

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 5:02 PM, srishtib8795206 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines