• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you add a drop shadow to text in InDesign CS5.5?

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a drop shadow in InDesign CS 5.5,  but none of the instructions I have found work, including my manual. They all say to select
Text and fx in the Effects menu, but those items are not in my Effects menu. I have the same problem when using  Styles in the Windows menu. I

haven't used drop shadow in a long time, but it seems to me it used to be very easy. What has happened?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select the Text Frame with your Selection tool. (Not the Type tool)
  2. In the Effects panel (Window > Effects), click on the Text listing.
  3. Under the fx menu at the bottom of the panel, choose Drop Shadow.
  4. Apply setting and click OK to apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. I was using the Object Effects menu, not the Window Effects menu. Everything I read just said Effects Menu and I was  not aware of one in the Window menu.

However although the Window effects menu does show fx at the bottom, there is no "text" category. Following is copy of the Effects menu. I tried just using the fx menu, but got nothing. Incidentally, what does Knockout mean? I tried with it checked and with it not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back - there was a text item on the Effects Menu - don't know why I didn't notice it the first time. The copy I attached did not survive the transmission. I am now getting a shadow, although it doesn't look much like they used to look. I will fiddle with it and see if I can get it llke I want it, although it will work as it is.

Thank you for your solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help! Please mark the answer as correct, so others know your question has been answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines