• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How i can cut layer bars or remove gaps beetween layers

Participant ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used split layer option to remove all the gaps beetween layers, now when i want to remove gaps i know only one method - to drag them manually, but when i do that i get the previous result as if i didnt cut them at all, seems like layers still hidden inside of this bars. So what would be best solution to get rid of the gaps and put layers together in my case?

Untitled88.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017
I know how to drag bars,  I did it correctly,  bit it didn't seem to work anyways.

if you drag bars, you are moving the layers and by looking at your timeline, you could be done with it in 5 seconds. by your description, you were dragging manually and getting the previous results. the only conclusion is that your were probably using the handles to move the layers. contributing to this assumption was the "hidden" layers inside layers description. 

I was asking different question if there is a way

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know only one method - to drag them manually, but when i do that i get the previous result as if i didnt cut them at all, seems like layers still hidden inside of this bars.

when you drag, click on the layer bar itself and not the edge of it. you will get an indication if you are on the edge by a bidirectional arrows cursor and you don't want that for this operation - you want the regular arrow cursor. hold and drag and press shift to snap and snap the layers edge to edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing layers and moving in and out points is one of the most basic AE skills you should have. It's not entirely intuitive but the technique is well covered in the help files and the community resources available directly from the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE. You should become very good friends with this tool and use it often, especially when something isn't working as you think it should. AE requires a bunch of study and some expertise to use efficiently. You'll never get there by just poking around in the UI or asking a few questions on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to drag bars,  I did it correctly,  bit it didn't seem to work anyways. Maybe it was actually working,  but I was in a hurry and didn't check properly. Anyways I did it all in Blender Video Editor.

I was asking different question if there is a way to remove all the gaps automatically,  like in other software,  Blender, Adobe Premier?  Apparently no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to drag bars,  I did it correctly,  bit it didn't seem to work anyways.

if you drag bars, you are moving the layers and by looking at your timeline, you could be done with it in 5 seconds. by your description, you were dragging manually and getting the previous results. the only conclusion is that your were probably using the handles to move the layers. contributing to this assumption was the "hidden" layers inside layers description. 

I was asking different question if there is a way to remove all the gaps automatically

you were asking for the best solution. manually would be the best solution in your case it because automatically isn't possible through the native tools in Ae. I think there's a script for it somewhere but can't be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are dragging layers around holding down the shift key will snap the in or out points to the CTI, or to the nearest trimmed layer, or to the nearest keyframe as long as you have the four vertical bars showing when the layer is selected:

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 9.30.58 AM.png

If you have a double ended arrow showing when you have a layer selected then you are moving the in and out point. The same thing applies, hold down the shift key while dragging and the in or out point will snap to the nearest, marker, keyframe, the CTI (Current time indicator) in, or out point. AE basics that everyone should know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving clips around like this is also a lot easier to do in Premiere Pro. Looking at the original screenshot, you are moving clips around to tell a story. That is video editing. You do not want to edit in After Effects! Do your edit in Premiere Pro, then use AE's Import Premiere Pro Project command to bring your edit into After Effects to do any motion graphics or special effects stuff you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines