• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My typographer's quotes have a bad habit of turning themselves off.

Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to keep them better behaved?

~Valerie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you have entered the keyboard shortcut? Cmd+Shift+Option+' [single quote] or Ctrl+Shift+Alt+'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...possible, though I can't imagine accidentally finding that combination so often...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the quotes are actually wrong? The typographer's quotes for some fonts are not curled (Optima for instance) and may actually resemble non-typographer's quotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...happens with various fonts. But good thought! :^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it have something to do with how you are copy-n-pasting text into your layout pages?

BTW, could you describe your situation with more detail?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. This happens when I'm typing directly in InDesign.

Well, I'll have typographer's quotes on, and then some random amount of time later, in some random document, they'll suddenly be turned off. Not very helpful data, I know! ;^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, like other preferences Use Typographer's Quotes can be an application wide or a document specific preference. Turn them on with all documents closed and all new documents will have them on, but an existing document could still have the preference off.

The preference is scriptable so you could assign a key command. in AppleScript it would be :

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set typographers quotes of text preferences of active document to true

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The scripting thing is beyond my comfort (or ability) zone, I'm afraid! ;^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kyriosity  wrote

Is there any way to keep them better behaved?

How do you turn them on?

What typeface are you using?

How long do they stay on before they turn themselves off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Edit > Preferences > Type (with no files open)

Various typefaces.

Random timing...like I need an occasional surprise party...without the party. ;^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, which began when I updated to CC 2017 version of InDesign.  In response to a few others' suggestions:

(1) I turn typographers' quotes on using Edit->Preferences->Typing; then Save.

(2) Problem persists whether I save preferences as application-wide (no document open) or with a specific document open.

(3) After turning quotes on, they sometimes stay on for an hour, sometimes turn off again after only a few minutes.  I have been looking for some other factor that might be triggering this, but so far have discovered none.

Would certainly appreciate any insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines